Certified Arborists

sotc

Dormant hero!!
I don't know if any of you have noticed that the ISA is requiring this form to be filled out http://www.isa-arbor.com/certification/resources/ISACertifiedArboristAgreement.pdf but it has been brought to my attention by some friends that have received this how invasive this is. Seems to have little to nothing to do with arboriculture. Please read the "questions" (statements) and notice some of the wording such as "a government" or "any charge", which could include traffic tickets, stupid things done as an 18 year old kid, even being accused of something not true. Let me know your opinion and we can link this thread to the ISA

maquis_gestapo.jpg

Wow, that's a load.

1: Meh you're agreeing to agree to legislation that hasn't been written yet.

2: It's nearly impossible for that not to be a problem. If you've ever had a ticket, that's a "no." If anyone ever complained about something you did that was quasi illegal, you're to answer "no."

3: A traffic ticket is the officer charging you with a traffic violation. #3 is redundant to #2.

4: Nearly reduntant to #2, if you ever paid a traffic ticket or were found guilty then you're to answer "no."

5: You'd have to answer "no" if you have a contract from a government agency, or have ever dealt with the government in running your "professional practice" or "business activities." I bought an inspection sticker and registration sticker for my truck just yesterday!

6: You either timely agree to answer those 5 questions (and this one) honestly and completely under threat of "sanctions" by the ISA cert program. :lol:

I wonder if anyone thought before sending that peach out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If your certified, please include your cert number so when they catch wind of this it shows how many members responded.
Mine's PN-5564A

They don't enforce their current standards. They are so full of crap that they are stinking up the entire industry. :X

The ISA certified arborist program is bullshit. I was a CA for 12 years and then when I had all my CEUs, was ready to write the check for the renewal fee, I thought to myself, what real benefit has being a CA brought to me? Answer was NOTHING. My customers don't care and the only ones that require a CA is city and state work, which I don't bid on because almost all the jobs are either too big for my operation or the bids are really low.

I let my CA expire over 6 years ago. What really bugged me about the whole program is their are several female CA's in Hawaii (not picking on women, just stating a fact) and I know they have never actually done work in a tree or are even capable of climbing a tree. To me, if you are going to be a CA, you should be capable of doing the work. It is like saying I am a master carpenter, I never did do any carpentry but I did read all the books on building houses, cabinets and furniture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It has helped me in my business which is why i have kept it and encourage my employees to sit the test. That said I would like to keep this on topic so we can use it

I'd like to see a class action suit against the ISA for "monopolizing" state and federal work because they have succesfully used bullshit lobbying to get a trade organization's "certification" as the litmus test for that type of work.

"A certified arborist must be in communication with the person performing tree trimming operations at all times":what:

Sorry for derailing the thread Willie, but the ISA can go fug themselves.

When I read the questions I thought to myself, does this mean that someone who is being prosecuted, or about to be prosecuted for an unrelated crime (such as drunk driving or even a felony), lose their cert?

I would read those questions in light of arborist related activities only and answer accordingly. It's not like they have any legal authority anyway.

4. I have not been found in violation of any law, regulation, or
policy by a government or other regulatory body,
professional association, or certifying body.

This covers ANY activity

5. I have not been, nor am I currently, the subject of any other
court or governmental matter or proceeding, related to my
professional practice, or business activities.

#5 specifies 'professional practice', or 'business activities', which also covers just about any activity.

Mr. Sir, while I can appreciate where your coming from, what with the comment about taxes and all, nevertheless, the form is asking for very specific information.

So, I ask again, if you are under indictment for ANY crime, does this mean you lose your cert?

That's pretty crazy. But unless people are not going to get certified then what do they have to lose?

Sooo you have to fill that out now when you sit for the test? I'm cert'd and don't recall ever filling anything like that out, nor have I been contacted to fill out anything like that? I'm confused.:|:

When I read the questions I thought to myself, does this mean that someone who is being prosecuted, or about to be prosecuted for an unrelated crime (such as drunk driving or even a felony), lose their cert?

That's usual for most professional certifications. As a CPA, I'm subject to rules like that. I think mine are a little better written than those.

Sooo you have to fill that out now when you sit for the test? I'm cert'd and don't recall ever filling anything like that out, nor have I been contacted to fill out anything like that? I'm confused.:|:

You'll get a copy with your recert application.

I just took my test a week ago and I didn't see anything like that. Although, I don't see any reason not to want to answer those questions for anyone who wants to know. I've got a record too. It all happened very shortly after I turned 18. I found out real fast to just be a good boy. My cert # is
PN-6772A

Sounds like CYA , . . . some bonehead certified arb can cut himself and blame ISA's fault for giving him the "credentials.
or protection for ISA if the consumer trys to suee if a CA fugs something up. could have been written better but definately Lawyer CYA shit, can't really blame them in this I'm not responsible world

MN #107

Heh maybe as a Canadian it won't apply to me.

I think I'm pn-6381A, but I'm not going to start digging around to look, sorry.

At one point I was studying to be an ISA CA. I went in another direction, but worked for my former boss in '05 for the summer. A couple of them had gotten their cert., but found Mass. arborist certification was where it was at. Apparently, the Mass test was much more vigorous.

Back