woodworkingboy

I thought you and a buddy got swarmed and stung. Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly. Are the cicadas going nuts over there? Nagoya turned into a frying pan in August and we escaped to the mountains. The sound of the cicadas made it sound like you were sizzling in the pan.

Thanks guys, I feel the love :)

Right Darin, afterall, I had almost forgotten. Thanks for asking. Yep, we were on a little bike ride, stopped to take a rest at a seldom used outdoor pavillion, and didn't notice the nest of hornets above. My buddy took off his hat and immediately got swarmed, stung like a dozen times on his scalp. He became pale and shaky, so I called an ambulance. They kept him for a couple hours and released him, he was OK. I subsequently learned that wasps. hornets, maybe bees as well, are aggressively attracted to the color black. When my friend took off his cap and exposed his black air, that's when he was attacked. They were buzzing around me, but I was stung maybe once or twice.

I hear that Nagoya is even hotter than ever these days, impossible to sleep without air conditioning running all night long. The weather patterns are changing here, I've been noticing it for awhile. It's definitely getting warmer. In my area, Nagano, they are starting to plant varieties of fruits that previously only grew in the warmer southern regions, and the apples, a mainstay in this part of the country, aren't doing too well without the consistent cold nights happening any longer.

The cicadas are about, but seem less this year, and lots of mosquitos. We have these big fellas two, but they are friendly.

Attachments

• beetle.jpg
    beetle.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 50
SEN...KALOPANAX PICTUS KAKAI. It has palmate leaves. The wood has a light, beautiful grain.
This is what I was able to find on Sen. Apparently, it's an Ash ?
Jay, gawdam, man !!! So good to see you !!! Always a pleasure checking out your woodworking. The choice of grain in the Sen chair is exquisite, as is your design of the rocking chair.
Is the design of the Sen chair your's ? The leg attachment has me curious... what joints are used ? Does the strength rely on dowels ?
The Walnut looks spalted or curly or some crazy grain. You must have an awesome supplier. Too fun !
Great to see you back home at the TH !

Hey TC, thanks! ...and good post, informative and inquisitive. See that you are still glued to that tree:D

"Sen", it works like a soft ash, now that you mention. Leg joints...kind of hard to describe....the wood overlaps inside where you can't see, sort of like a lap joint, as it's called. Good perception maam, I did stick a dowel in there as well for some backup, but normally not necessary with a harder wood. I designed the chairs, really like that part of the work, but it can be a real pain to try and make it all work. Walnut is great wood. If you can get it, the air dried is particularly nice over the kiln dried...better color, and works like it's still alive.

Jay

Cool cool.
We've got some catching up to do, or movin' forward to do, or some dang ting, ey ?!? LOL
I gotta go make like I do stuff on Sundays besides play on the pc.... like maybe sun bathe ! Trying to learn how to relax a little bit more. That was an oxymoron, no ? You get the idea....
Catch ya later. We'll try not to get you in trouble. Whoot !!!

[...]The choice of grain in the Sen chair is exquisite, as is your design of the rocking chair.
Is the design of the Sen chair your's ? [...]

I agree, the Sen chair is truly elegant.

Thanks V, and I noticed that MB generously gave me back my sponsor
status. :big-jump:

Honestly speaking, the Treehouse seems more layed back now, compared to when I last checked in quite awhile back. Could just be me though :|:

Back