Winch information sought

Look up a Zigzag yarder Jay. Oddly enough I think it was developed in Japan. We used one in forestry school on a firewood sale. Slightly labor intensive, but low impact and great for select tree work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Zigzag yarder...found some information. It looks like a real cool set-up, but the device they described was a 12 horsepower engine, and too large and heavy for our application in most cases, it would seem. The block arrangement though, that looks like it's worth some study. Thanks.

I remember the motor being a bigger Kohler or something like that. But if you see the idea of arranging the open face blocks and the continuous line I don't see why one of the smaller capstan winches available wouldn't work. Wesspur has a little Honda rig that's pretty light.

When I use my winch to pull logs and brush, I use an old wheelbarrow tray. You can cut out the back end, lengthen it and weld on whatever brackets you need to skid with. It makes it much easier for the winch to pull the log or brush.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good idea, think I'll make up one of those grabbers for pulling the choker through. I have some stainless rod...just bend a hook and make up a handle.

Back