White pine self girdle

I have let a few Maple a and Cherry roll like that w no problems years later. White Pine near a building if top heavy mebbee not.

Doesn't look to be much likelihood of problems to me either...and each year of growth from here on out lessens the chances of trouble at that specific location, I think.

But...a schoolmarm white pine is basically a lousy tree, prone to failure at the union, that limb girdle totally aside.

Trace (scrape off) the compacted bark so the phloem can expand normally. Full recovery odds excellent sooner if this is done, very good later, otherwise.
Not sure wtf this has to do with targets.

Schoolmarm whaaaa? White pines are an excellent species for urban areas, if managed.

Any species is excellent for urban areas, if managed.
Since this has 2 leaders, it obviously wasn't.

The heavy semi thawed snowfall we had last week sure took a toll on those schoolmarm trees. Also broke the branches of a gazillion birch trees and magnolias, managed or not.

But I agree that the "lesion" from the crossing branch is of no importance.

Trace (scrape off) the compacted bark so the phloem can expand normally. Full recovery odds excellent sooner if this is done, very good later, otherwise.
Not sure wtf this has to do with targets.

Schoolmarm whaaaa? White pines are an excellent species for urban areas, if managed.

You maybe don't know the term.

Whereas I, a Danish logger and English scholar, do:)

Of course I have a copy of Labbe and Larancon's : " A logger lexicon"
That helps, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the advice!

I'm not new to trees but I've not seen an injury like this before.

Also, 100 points to Burnham for use of the term schoolmarm!

AD

Hard to say it was injury or damage--if left alone it may have grafted?
Still a good idea to scrape off compacted bark.

I get ZERO points for not relating a schoolteacher with legs squeezed shut to codominance in trees.
I like hanging around with schoolteachers, but not those with that habit...

Your mix of education, wisdom, experience, superiority complex, and ignorance continues to amaze.

I'm sure I suffer from much the same, btw:).

Back