Which Way Will it Fall?

Old Monkey

Treehouser
If you have a more or less well balanced tree and someone cuts a couple of major roots on one side, which way will it fall if it falls? I have an opinion that I will keep to myself on this one. Preston, my coworker and I had a debate on this other day and I want settle it in a fair manner.

That question begs a great amount of speculation.

With that said & if every thing is equal. I say it will fall in the direction of the remaining roots.
With that said the height & taper of the tree could could cause things to go differently......Also you made no mention of which way the wind's blowing:D

All other factors being equal it would be more likely to fall away from the cut roots.

Is it a conifer or hardwood? Where are the roots cut in relation to your prevailing winds in the area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is an artificial situation and the wind blows every direction equally. We'll say its a conifer for the sake of discussion.

Barring an opposite headwind, it would fall to the side where the root were holding it.

Edit... What Leon said! :drink:

What type of soil? Is the tree deep rooted or are the roots all growing in a 12" layer of topsoil on top of rock?

O.K. I'll bite.

If the tree falls, and no one is around to see or hear it, has it fallen at all?

Schroder's cat syndrome.

But I agree with MBs statement that the tree will fall in the direction of the remaining roots. Or not. A tree may remain upright for many years after suffering such a loss of support.
Such is the reality of us, tree health professionals, we often get asked to determine the exact extent of liability or risk.

Funny you should ask this at this time. Right now, I have condemned a tree and the homeowner is asking me how long he has exactly until the tree fails. He is hoping that the tree will stay upright until spring.

I cannot make a prophesy with such crucial elements to factor in. Such as the garage being crushed, or personal injury.

I say it will fall away from cut roots also. I have pushed many 1000"s of trees over and atleast where I live they are almost impossible to push away from healthy roots. The trees in our area are heavily rooted one side due our Monster east winds but I can push them east with ease. I might add that our trees have very few limbs on the east side also from the winds snapping them off.

Agreed.....

away from the cut roots!

The remaining (uncut roots) will just fold over like a hinge. The tree needs the tension on the opposite side for stability. Cut those roots and you eliminate that equalizing tension.

Nah - if it was/is in balance, then it will fall 90 degrees to the side from which the roots were cut.

Agreed.....

away from the cut roots!

The remaining (uncut roots) will just fold over like a hinge. The tree needs the tension on the opposite side for stability. Cut those roots and you eliminate that equalizing tension.

thank you, sometimes my babbling don't make sense.

I do tree removal a bit different than most of you guys as I either top them about a foot or so off the ground or lean on them with a hoe taking the stump at the same time. That tree sure gives a guy one hell of a lot of leverage.

OM is busy trying to figure out how to dissagree with me, give him time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lets just say the ground is quickly eroding under Preston's argument. I won't shut him down too hard because I enjoy our debates.

He had a good question a while back about whether some trees are hard to determine the sex of while they are young. We have seen neighborhood's with honey locusts in front of just about every tree on the block and only a few unlucky home owners have trees heavily laden with seed pods.

edit: Rotax, everyone needs a hobby.

Nah - if it was/is in balance, then it will fall 90 degrees to the side from which the roots were cut.

Roots go all the way around the tree I am assuming and only one side is compromised.

He had a good question a while back about whether some trees are hard to determine the sex of while they are young.

Even the nurseries have a hard time determining the sex of trees.

We just cut down 35 ginko trees on the main drag of town. The seeds were falling and stinking to high heaven.

Big tourist turn off

So what was Preston basing his argument on?

Roots are not like pillars holding up the Coliseum. They are more like guy wires holding up a cell phone tower.

love
nick

So what was Preston basing his argument on as well as yours OM? or are you just playin with him.

Back