Which square grinder ?

Simington is really the only option new that I'm aware of. Should be some used Silveys on the market... I've got a Razur Sharp II.

Last edited:
Yeah, a buddy of mine has been bugging me for years to sell him my SDM4. Asked me again Friday. :lol:
Maybe someday. I hardly use it anymore. But when I need it, I really need it.
I bought it with enough chain to damn near last my career. Granted, I started later than most.

What's to stop someone from cloning them? How hard would it be for a decent machinist to replicate?

realtime edit:
Sounds like Burnham was thinking the same thing

Miniscule up here in my hills. Further North more market. Not many here in my area use square grind. When folks get hired in to do salvage felling on burns, more demand. I imagine North and Nor West of here, more demand.
I'll offer it if I open a saw shop. I've tried to teach a couple guys and so has the hardware store/saw shop. He gave up too. The learning curve is just too much for our limited labor force. Right now, youre lucky you can get a chain spun local. If it aint already cut in a box, you get deer in head lights look. Sad man.

I just don't think the "square grind" market is that large perhaps.
That's why I was wondering about a machinist. I've never seen one of these, but at $2k a pop, it seems like might be money to be made for a small operation. Dunno how much the materials would cost, or how much time it would take to build from scratch.

Yea. I'm kind of interested in Stihl's hexa files, but I'd have to get full chisel chain to use them. Every time I try full chisel, I end up either cutting something nasty, or I stick the bar in the dirt. They look cool though. Kind of an easy square file that trades a bit of performance for a much smaller learning curve.

:^D

I was thinking about my chain when I was cutting the willow. That wood made me look like a sharpening wizard, but the truth is, it would probably still cut with the chain on backward :^D

Right now, I have zero functional poulans. I need to get off my ass and see if the 5020 can be started with an impact driver. If so, that'll be my small wood milling saw. The 4218 I need to bring home and see what I can do with the carcass in the garage to swap parts over.

Well, they both have a niche use that's pretty handy. For the 5020, I'd rather clamp that pos in a mill than my better small saws. The edging mill especially will really thrash a bar, and the next saw in line is my 362 with a light bar, and I'm not gonna run bolts down on that thing.

The 4218 is theft resistant. It can go in the bed of the truck, and it's no tragedy if something happens. I keep my 2511 in the cab, but there's no way I'd put any of my other saws in the bed. It also cuts pretty good when it's running. I can't say the same for the 5020, but for an edging mill, or flat milling ≤16" stuff, it'll work ok, and take some stress off my good saws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A ported 500i will make you forget almost every other saw. I have a shop full of saws and two of them (one backup) would replace everything but the 395 or maybe just the 3120 on the big side and the 346 and 2511 on the small side.

Back