What would you do?

• Thread starter TreeDimensional
  • Start date
  • Replies 29
  • Views 4K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The green of Spruce is a welcome site in the cold of a SK winter. It also softens the brick structure it is near. More pleasing so to speak. I like to plan for function, wind abatement and shade are definetly high on my list of things to do. I loaned my "Tree of the Prairies" book to my neighbor, but the are few species that thrive other than Poplar, ash, elm and willow. What would you recommend for replacements Paul?

I should also remind you folks, drought is a consideration, as well as hardiness. Most of the school yards see minimal yard work over the summer months.

Oh, and thanks Darin for moseying away from that other thread!;)

Are the downspouts flooding some of the trees, reducing growth?

As was said, if they are all the same age, root issues---> plant for replacement later. Maybe that's temperate rain forest climate speaking. How old?

I'm not surprised the kids climb them to the roof. Wouldn't you have? No matter how much you raise them, within the tree's tolerance, they will still be able to access the low branches, possibly needing a shoulder stand on a friend. If you have lots of snow, I can see them climbing to the roof and jumping into a bank/ drift.

Seems like they are pretty close to the building. Will be interesting to know what you see when you are onsite.

Well it is all done. The caretaker was there and informed us that the trees were all planted at the same time. The second one from the left is in fact a white spruce, while the rest are Colorado Spruce.

I crown raised a little, leaving the brough tips about 16" off the ground, and tip pruned to gain clearance from the roof (4') and eave (3'). The pics were not representative of what we found. The left one is at least a foot above the eave, and the others are larger, leading me to believe the pic is at least 2-3 years old. Me, being me, did not alocate the camera loadin into the truck so there aren't any before and after shots. I must say, I didn't compromise my principles with any of the cuts. I will indicate on my invoice that the CRZ to the dripline be mulched.

One issue that the caretaker told us about was the fact the school district is going to be removing the sidewalk and lowering the grade towards where the camera was in their pics. My bet would be the trees days are numbered. We discussed what and where to plant the replacements. I hope I made a valid impression, at least with the caretaker.

312 km (194 miles) drive and 2 hours on site. The milage is more than the work!

You'd starve to death here with that limit!:P

The wife just got home from town. She ran into one of the school officials, and he said he had some work for us! Ha, we did that one today.

He also told her about some tree guys that were workin' the old folks in a town 35 miles East of us. They would go door knocking and offer to do work for "X", then show up in a week and start to do "said" work, even though they hadn't been hired. I guess the RCMP are lookin' into it!

That kind of BS makes the honest tree companies look real bad.

Back