What line did I take down?

NickfromWI

King of Splices
Just took down the neighbors utility line. I blame it on a weak splice :)

Any idea what it might be? I'd love to have it fixed before they get home!

It's square (rectangular, actually)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355162193.474757.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355162226.854472.jpg

Any thoughts on how I might figure it out?

love
nick

Yup, looks like phone line to me. Careful, the red line is usually the ringing line. If a call comes in when touching that ... it could make you unhappy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never taken one down before, never installed one, never had a land line since high school, have never had a tv or cable in the house. I have never had any experiences that would have given me any reason to be able to tell them all apart. I can ID power lines and service drops and the rest I treat with mild caution.

Thanks for the help though, guys! I called AT&T and they were in fact the provider here and they ran some diagnostics and told me it was in fact one of their phone lines that wasn't working. They got it all taken care of and when the neighbor came home I was able to tell them the problem and that repairman was on the way and there would be no charge to them!

Why can't all problems clean up that easily?

love
nick

Never taken one down before, never installed one, never had a land line since high school, have never had a tv or cable in the house.

Yea, but what about all your customers, over they years?

It helps to get to know a few folks from cable and phone companies. They will help you out and in return you might have to trim a few limbs for them from time to time. Actually the cable guy here sells lots of work for us.

There's always those little details that crop up in the end.

And most times today you seldom skate.

Now having worked for the utilities in a rural area I came to know all the locals that worked in it, and it benefited me greatly in this work.

They will drop the service drop here for no charge. Is that the case all over? Phone and cable are easy enough to take down yourself. You might need a little advice the first time, but after that EZ PZ.

Only if you know someone in a bucket here. If I call ahead, up to two wks, they still tell me no. It is worth my while to have an electrician take it down, albeit slightly illegal, and throw him $150.

Back