What is your favorite hunting rifle any why!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd say 200 yrds or so ... we use ours most for goofing around at the lake in the summer. Fun for sure!!!

200 yards is probably about max. You might give it an wxtra shot of propellant and go a little over that occasionally, but not often. Usually the tater doesn't seal off in the barrel well enough to get max range. The same guy who built the one in the pics also built one with interchangeable barrels. You can load all three barrels, then charge the chamber, screw the barrel on, fire, change barrels, fire, etc. Sort of like a mortar tube. They've toyed with the idea of using it in our airsoft battles, loading the mortar with airsoft bb's sort of like grapeshot from a cannon. His smallest barrel is 3/4". That one sounds like a .22 going off. Won't shoot very far, but it's a lot easier to find spuds for it, and it wastes a lot less tater.

Around here we have an invasive weed commonly referred to as 'potato vine'. It sprouts up in many unmaintained areas and the vines can take over trees. The fruit looks just like a small potato, ranging in size from 1" to about the size of an apple. Easy to find ammo. :evil:

Hi guys, new to the site. I have two favorites. For deer only a Winchester 88 in .243 ( was my dad's rifle ). Second one is a Remington 600 Magnum in .350 Rem Mag.

Speaking of apples and range-when I was a kid my Dad's cousin showed me a pretty cool trick. You take a sapling 6 or 8 feet long and jam an apple on about a foot down on the sapling. Then give it a mighty swing. If the sapling is the right springyness and the apple the right firmness you can get 100-200 yards. I showed my kids the trick when they were young. My Dad wasn't really happy about me being taught-I think he was worried about what kind of damage might result. Nothing ever got damaged.

Used to be pretty good with those apple throwers as a youngster. Won a few fights with them also. I remember 2 of my cousins chasing a friend and I with their fathers ox whips. You took off for the nearest apple tree. A few alders later and we were ready for them. We could keep them a good distance away so the whips didn't come into play.

Those were the good old days when boys could be boys and it was normal. We would play ball, have a fist fight half way thru, then play ball the rest of the day. We could make two teams just out of cousins.

Anybody ever use calcium carbide and water for propellent? It shoots tennis ball completely out of sight.

Favorite hunter is an accurized model 70 in .308 with a Leupold.

Good question, we got it at the hardware store... but that was in the '70's. It's the fuel for old school miner's helmet lamps, the ones with flame and a reflector. It looks like gravel and out-gases acetylene when mixed with water. Big bangs.

My son lives about 1 1/2 miles, as the crow flies. He had a party and made some garbage bag bombs with oxygen and acetylene. My stepson was in the army and thought he was hearing artillery. The cops showed up, but were cool about it.

It is a pretty dangerous thing to do. Static can set it off. Happened to a bud of mine. Blew out the garage windows and made his ears ring for a month. The trick is to wet the bag down, inside and out. Not for me. My son has smartened up some too.

I was thinking that oxygen and acet. would work for spud gun. Might want to remote fire it to see if it explodes.

Lets see my favorite rifle is the old semi-auto 22 that belonged to my granddad that I learned how to shoot with. When he passed it went with me my relatives be damned. My favorite rifle to hunt with in my Marlin 336 30-30. Just something about hunting with a classic design. My fun rifle that has only been fired maybe a dozen times by me is a Barret 50 bolt action. Has what amounts to a telescope for a scope. Only killed one deer with it when I was in West Virginia hunting. We hadn't seen anything all day and were packing it in. The other guys were looking around through binoculars and saw a bunch of deer on another ridge. Long story short I said hell with it and took the shot. Can't remember the exact range but it was a lucky shot regardless. I blew the things head clean off from the shot.

Back