What is your favorite hunting rifle any why!!!

I dont hunt but if I did, I would use this one:
Especially for elephants, rhinos and the like.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Kp_zoMZb7Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Kp_zoMZb7Q?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Well I suppose that shooting a gopher with an elephant gun would better than plunking an elephant with a sling shot .

Remington 700 in .308. Why? It's what I used back in the day to pass my BDS (British deer society) shooting test......so I just stuck with it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no ungulate in North America a well placed 175-180gr .308 round wont drop. Have a friend who uses 110gr rounds on coyote and any .308 round makes a mess of a hog/pig.......especially if you drill 'em straight in the ear. And for smaller game? Ruger 10/22 (which actually belongs to the mrs).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no ungulate in North America a well placed 175-180gr .308 round wont drop.
I suppose that could taken as correct although I think the few that hunt moose would use a larger round .

As for that large second cousin to a deer I've only ever seen two or three in my life time .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suppose that could taken as correct although I think the few that hunt moose would use a larger round .

As for that large second cousin to a deer I've only ever seen two or three in my life time .

I agree with you there ... I hunt with folks that shoot moose and bear with a 7mm-08 but I would't trade them for the niceset/most expensive 7mm-08 in the world. I'll take my 338 mag every time ... I LOVE that round (225 grains flying at 2850fps vs. 140 grain flying at 2800 fps) ... guess it is basically what you are comfortable shooting.

While Im a die hard Rem 700 fan, and have no desire to build guns on any other platform, my go to deer rifle is a Ruger M77 hawkeye in 7 mag. I originally hated the gun but couldnt part with it as it was a fathers day gift from my daughter and wife a few years ago. I shot like garbage. Come to find out, the gun shoots very well but is fussy about having a clean bore. It goes all over the paper after 12-15 rounds. I love the gun though. It fits me and handles very well, shoots well, and doesnt kick. I dont mind recoil one bit, but I also dont mind a gun with some horsepower that doesnt kick. I floated the barrel, put a Timney trigger in it, and when I get around to it, might put aluminum pillars in it.

Sweet sounding gun ... I really like taking a so-so gun and working with if to see it's potential. That gun sounds like it has HUGE potential

Here's one of my favorites. It's really good for those long range shots.....

Attachments

• 463.JPG
    463.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 462.JPG
    462.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Yeah, one of the boys in our homeschool group made it. It's pretty awesome as such. He even put a piezo ignitor in it so that it's just like pulling the trigger on a real firearm. We fired some spuds over two hundred yards with it.

What is it made out of and do you know a source for plans? Sounds like a fun thing. My son welded a cast plate on a pipe to make a cannon. I told him it wasn't safe and don't shoot it. He gave it to someone who didn't believe it wasn't safe. The plate flew backwards between his legs. Woowwww! Guess it wasn't safe.

Yeah, one of the boys in our homeschool group made it. It's pretty awesome as such. He even put a piezo ignitor in it so that it's just like pulling the trigger on a real firearm. We fired some spuds over two hundred yards with it.

That is awesome treesmith ... we have a spud gun and love it. Shot a black bear with it one day ... he was one unhappy bear after getting popped by a spud (lol)

What is it made out of and do you know a source for plans? Sounds like a fun thing. My son welded a cast plate on a pipe to make a cannon. I told him it wasn't safe and don't shoot it. He gave it to someone who didn't believe it wasn't safe. The plate flew backwards between his legs. Woowwww! Guess it wasn't safe.

I have one I bought at a yard sale for a whole dollar! Already built and ready to go. It's about the size of the one in the pictures above, minus the stock. All you need is some PVC pipe of varying dimensions. I'm sure plans can be found on the web. Mine has a barrel of 2" PVC, stepped up to 3" or 4", then a threaded cap on the end with a plug to screw into the cap. the end edge on the barrel is beveled so you can cut into a spud with it. Some folks use a piezo ignitor, but mine has one of the spin type lantern lighter. You load a spud, push it down to the bottom of the barrel, remove the cap, give it a shot of hairspray, reinstall the cap, point it where you want to shoot and spin the lighter knob....BOOM! I'll see if I can locate a plan/diagram.

I've never seen or known anyone with a potato gun in my life. What's the average max range? A hunnert yards?

Back