What husky to out race a sthl 880

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
We have been having friendly races of stock saws husky versus sthl.
So my huskys at the same cc'c have been killing the sthls .
Now my competition has went out and found a older stock sthl 880
The biggest husky i have at the moment is a 575xp
Will i have to move up to 2101 or for lords sake 3102 xp to whoop him
OR will some slight mods in othewr words cheating blow the doors off the old 880.
Hes been taking this real serious and racing my saws behins my back .
He was taking video as well so he could show me losing .
Alas pound for pound and cc for cc the huskys have been blowing the doors off the sthls
I am likely gonna need some help now though i cannot let him be king of the jungle with his new big 880.
Help
:P

I haven't seen a 2101 in over 10 years, although they were great saws in their day.

In actual displacement, the 3120XP will be the closest to the 880. But both of those saws are built more for torque and the 880 in particular is not a real high revving saw. A slightly smaller, quicker saw can usually outcut the 880 in anything except the biggest and hardest wood. You might look at the 395XP with some porting mods. Ed Heard (EHP) is pretty good at getting lots of power out of the Huskys.
http://www.chainsawperformance.com/index.php

Send the 394 to Ed and in about 6 weeks (or 8 or 10 or longer) you will get back a saw capable of eating up a stock 880. Ed is good, he's just not very quick getting saws returned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ohhh awwwww hahaha yes yes but the muffler will have to be incognito

I've heard that a stock 880 is a tad faster than a stock 3120. I've never put mny latest 3120 to wood, as I mounted it on my Alpine Magnum stump grinder.

My old 3120 was underwhelming stock, probably due to the slower chain speed...and it usually sporting a 42 inch bar. It was faster than my old 2100 though. But, after Dennis Greffard modded it, it really came alive....and it was the first 3120 he ever modded---using Ken Dunn's port numbers.

If thats the case my only slightly modified / ported 394 will beat it possibly.Ill go check.

I dont want another 3120 to much saw.
I just need to use the 395 xp it should come close as is anyhow.

Proceed with caution, Jerry. Getting your first modified chainsaw can be hazardous to your financial health. I got my first modded saw about 5 years ago and today I own a truckload. I will not even consider owning a stock saw any more (except for the Stihl 200T).
:|:

It just depends on what you are cutting and how much money you want to put it it . All those big guns 084/088 --3120 ,125 Mac etc do real well in big wood where those cubic inchs can kick in .

In smaller stuff a good running 066 or 395 will cut just as fast .Fact is in some cases I've even seen 80 cc saws outcut the big guns in 8 by 8's .

A couple of folks,Cliff H and Eric C. have some smokin fast 3120's but they have a kings ransom in those things . Plus the fact they are strictly race saws running on acohol with tuned pipes .

Another thing to consider is the chain .You can sink a fortune into building up a hot saw but if you don't have a cutting system to go with it ,it is almost a waste of time .

All that aside,I only dabble with this race type stuff. It's a lot of fun to tinker with but it takes a lot of doing to come up with a winner .

Actually, skwerl, I see little need to go beyond muffler mods with the 5100 and 7900 Dolmars....I have two of each, one each is stock....fastest stock saws I've run, fo sho! Al's recent 681 build-off challenge showed the same applies to the new 681 Solo...gains were minimal compared to a Husky....

It appears to me that as time progresses these saws come souped up from the factory.In a way like some automobiles or motorcycles .

In that aspect regarding auto engines,things we did in the 60's and 70's to enhanced performance are already built into them from the factory .

Most likely nobody on the net is more nostalgic than myself regarding old designs .However in true honesty it's pretty hard to outgun the newer designs other than the challange to do so .As much as I hate to admit it ,these are the good old days .;)

That said though,more times than not updates or changes in design of engine powered devices are brought about from racing designs .It just takes a while for certain things to come about .

Last edited:
Lots of good points so far, and I really agree with Brian! I wont run a stock saw anymore either!
The other problem with the 3120 is it's rev. limited and the newer carbs are not adjustable. And not to forget about the weak connecting rod that likes to break when you wind it up. (Most guys running them use the 880 rod in the Husky)
I think this newer line of saws is the "last HOWRAH" for the two strokes. They are done, so they are pushing them as hard as they dare from the factory.
For a new saw, the Husky 390 has seemed to really made some waves, inboard clutch (new for Husky) and responds VERY well to mods:D
Send that 394 to Ed as Brian pointed out, and it should eat that big Stihl. Lots more chain speed!!
Speaking of the chain, MAKE SURE IT'S SHARP!!!! That will give you more of an edge than anything!

Speaking of chain give me some reccomendations .We will both likely run carlton semi chipper chain.
I know he will at least.One thing i may have to my advantage is cutting expierence but this fellow is pretty seasoned. I dont think he knows yet that my 394 might cut a faster small chunk. We will likely race on something like 20 inch dia.So of course ill bust out a shorter bar all the while he will likely use a long bar haha. Oopppss
He started all this anyhow totally behind my back, ill try and past the link to him racing one of my saws its pretty funny cause my man wins one handed.

dark, do you mean semi-chisel? Why? that's only good on climb saws or for cutting dirty wood. Full chisel is the way to go, and square ground is best.

chipper chain is even rounder than semi-chisel. haven't seen it in years...as in 25-30....for normal production saws anyhow.

dark, do you mean semi-chisel? Why? that's only good on climb saws or for cutting dirty wood. Full chisel is the way to go, and square ground is best.

chipper chain is even rounder than semi-chisel. haven't seen it in years...as in 25-30....for normal production saws anyhow.

What RB said...:).

What RB said...:).

If you are going with a short bar for that 20 inch wood, go full comp.

Long bars and big wood, go to full skip, or at least semi-skip.

Proceed with caution, Jerry. Getting your first modified chainsaw can be hazardous to your financial health. I got my first modded saw about 5 years ago and today I own a truckload. I will not even consider owning a stock saw any more (except for the Stihl 200T).
:|:

Same here. I even have my hedge trimmer, weed wacker & leaf blower modified...Rick

Back