What harness and what do you like about it???

One thing about the TM is the adjustment. It's complex & can be frustraiting initially.

It takes a while to "tune" it in - effort yes, but worth it.

TM here too. I had a versatile before that. Someone asked about the TM's durability, and I wanted to mention that mine has held up great. I have had it for 5-6 years now. My brother climbs on the ergovation and he likes that as well.

Sequoia SRT here, with small modifications for gear. Leg straps are my biggest complaint. I think it's very durable for how lightweight it is.

Newtribe Nikosi.... Very comfortable, holds a saw well, looks as if it will takes years to wear it out. Cons, you can't add custom bridge goodies like rings or swivels, you are stuck with the O ring but that's all I need. The side D's are a bit small. Overall I love it.

TM here also. Had an ergo which was great, but wanted something more low profile/lighter. Great support and comfortable. I scoffed at the lower d's initially, but they have proven to be a relief when blocking wood for long periods (nice leg/hip weight distribution).

Roger that ... "small dee silliness." :roll:

One of great things about the Pro-Gear is the LARGE D's ... LUVM :D;)

About the center ring in the back: I understand it's common for some (at least in Europe) to clip the saw tether end to that ring. :roll:

For me, that ring is a great visual aid: If it's in the lower back, I got the saddle on right. :lol:

Sequoia SRT.
I like it but I can't compare with others because it's my first "real" saddle.
I started the tree work with a mountain climbing saddle. So I saw a big improvement with the Sequoia. Light and somewhat comfy ( but it could be better for the hips, I'm skinny), it doesn't lose its settings.
The main concern for me is the belt without a quick fastening buckle (due to the SRT tying point), you have to get in or out like an pant. Not practical when the ground is muddy.

Sequoia SRT, is the belt without a quick fastening buckle

That would be a bummer... I like the quick snaps.
The BF2 was good for that with their airplane seat buckles on the belt and leg straps.

New Tribes are more like slotted quick sets, not sure what they're called but quick.

I started everything with a Weaver butt strap single D leather saggle.
Good saddle, sucked to hang from, great to chunk wood with.
Just gradually wore it out, totally frayed and worn,
now it hangs from my garage rafter forever.......

Guy at work just had a choice between ERGOvation and Sequioa and actually anything in the catalog.
He almost bought Sherrils' Edge saddle. He went for the ERGOvation....

Any personal reviews on the Ergo?

I've been in a dragonfly for seven years and love it but since I started climbing SRT I've found the seat to feel cumbersome. Next will be a Treemotion or the Harkie.

been using my home-made saddle for the last year or so, i think ive finally got it dialed in. before that i started out on the weaver, then bf2, and the tree flex. i liked the treeflex, but the leg supports were just too narrow. San Mateo-20121011-00251.jpg San Mateo-20121011-00248.jpg San Mateo-20121011-00250.jpg

Tree Magic...its what I have here...LOTS of gear attachment points, very adjustable, but don't like not having quick release buckles on the legs and side D's are small.
B'fly...its what I have there....well placed attachment points, big side D's...easy on/off

Why don't people like a central attachment point for the chainsaw? At least the weight is pulling evenly when you let it hang long on the lanyard...

I don't think I'd like having to reach all the way around to grab it. I could try it I guess. Do you only use that point for the end of the saw lanyard or actually clip a saw to it? I keep mine just behind my right hip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont get the long lanyard thing. I want it as short as posible so it doesnt get hung up as I move through the canopy. I also dont like my saw attached to me when I make a cut, havent dropped a saw in 15 years+. I like my attachment infront of my hip maybe on it.....

I high clip my saw on my hip, but the end of the lanyard is always secured back centre.
If I have to dump it quick or I want to let it hang for a while, while I do some handsaw work then the weight is centred, not off to the side. Also it makes it real easy to use the saw on either side, the reach is the same, and it can be high clipped on either hip.
In my avatar that 260 is secured on the back centre of my B'fly...nice even weight distribution.
Whatever works!

I clip the saw lanyard into the center back loop. I agree with the others though its nice for various reasons, it is centered and the lanyard reach is the same.

I clip the saw itself into the biner behind my dees.

saw lanyard pic 1.jpg

So what are you using day to day and what are your likes and dislikes???

I have been using a Sequai for 5 years or so and love how light it is and really like the flexibility of the web bridge. Peeves, leg loops are uncomfortable for hanging in it for long periods and the front buckle keeps loosening and is a PIA to tighten up.

Just picked up a New tribe Progear 2. After 1 day... Love the comfy leg loops and liked the fixed saw snaps but was unimpressed by the rest. Dont like the clutter of the TIP, belt hurts my hips. Like the concept of the suspender but dont like the reality of the chaffed neck. As said this is after just one day so maybe it will break in better....

Bump.

I use the TreeMotion harness, the slightly older version. It's my first and only harness, so I have nothing else to compare it to. I'm probably spoiled by it and don't even know it. At first I had a hard time getting comfortable in it, because of my own lack of experience as a climber, and not knowing how to adjust it properly. Pain or discomfort is a big motivator, however, so I eventually found a setup that leaves me feeling ok most of the time.

If I think of anything else to add, I'll chime in again later. I just wanted to revive this thread because one of our newer members was asking questions about the TreeMotion saddle. I thought it might be good to crank this thread back up to get more opinions about the TreeMotion and other saddles out there. People who've been using the same saddle for a long time, and are happy with it, could provide some really interesting long term user analysis.

Thanks in advance to anyone that chooses to participate in this discussion. Especially valuable would be comments from members that have used multiple different harnesses in their time as climbers, and so have the ability to compare and contrast harnesses and manufacturers. Thanks to all.

Tim

Hey Tim my name is George.
What was the hardest adjust to figure out?The one that said know I get it.The ups man just dropped my treemotoin off last night.(thanks treesuff)
I'm pretty green myself.lbeen trying to teach myself to climb over the last year or so.I'm hoping to get out today and swing around on it.
My last saddle was a weaver3d buttstrap style.
Thanks in advance for any pointers. George

I think it's mostly just finding ur center of gravity and bridge length too. When it's new everything is slick so u might find it coming unadjusted for a while. For me it was the hip to lower D adjustment that was always creeping out

Thanks Joe that's pretty much what I was thinking, finding ur center. I'm heading out know to play I mean work on my saddle.

Back