What do you make of this

jamie

Wud Kutta
Over at Arb Talk
we have a thread aboutcertified splices.

A bit of background, We are required to check our gear daily with a visual inspection, weekly with a written inspection and every 6 months for climbing gear and yearly for rigging gear under LOLER (Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations). 6 monthly LOLER inspections have to be carried out by someone who is impartial and qualified.

There is a bit of controversy over some inspectors credibility as some don't know what certain bits of gear are, so how can they be suitably qualified to decide if your ascnders are safe to climb on. Some other LOLER inspectors are trained in mechanical inspection (cranes etc) i don't however know if teh qualifications are any different.

As splices made by hand by individuals outwith the rope manufactures factory cannot be deemed safe by the rope manufacturer some climbing lines are deemed safe and pass their LOLER inspection but the eye splice does not.:O

I know you can get splices sent off to Yale, SAMSON etc and tehy will take them apart and test them. This is OK as long as you splice Yale or Samson, If i were to splice Marlow ropes however i would not be able to get any confirmation from Marlow that my splices were safe as they (as of sometime in 2007) do not test non Marlow splices.

Any non standard splices i make are tested and so far they have broken at respectable strengths. Either that or set up some sort of training and accreditation scheme.

Anyone have any views or are you all glad you live stateside.

Jamie

It sounds a little over the top with the inspections and certifications, etc. I'm glad I live stateside, but things may change here soon. Apparently, we are too stupid to take care of our own safety without government intervention.

Too many rules and not enough firearms.

gun_free_zone.jpg

If the thieves over there knew that there was a good chance of getting blown away while stealing your gear, I bet there would be a lot less thieving going on. I don't fancy your knife will deter them much, if at all.

a bit off topic but..
"For example, while the homicide and violent crime rates of the United States were much higher than those of Canada, property crime rates in the US were considerably lower. The overall crime rate in the United States is similar to that of other highly developed countries such as Canada.[6][7] Additionally there tend to be great regional differences within the U.S. with New England having a violent crime and homicide rate comparable to that of most other developed nations, while southern states were among the most violent."

clipped from Wiki

Interesting read. Personally I would rather be robbed than shoot someone or be shot.
Control is not the answers, neither is freedom to bear arms. As humans we are our own worst enemy, exploiting any weakness and opertunity

I wouldn't think twice nor lose a minute of sleep over sending a thief to an early grave.

Trying to harm me or my loved ones - yes. A thief or petty criminal, I would never forgive myself. In the past i would have agreed, but with hindsight, i guess I have made enough mistakes to forgive or at least understand others.

And that very same thief or petty criminal that you're showing mercy on could very well slit your throat to complete his mission.

Kill em all, let God sort em out.

You're talking like they play by some kinda rules orrrrr something. They DON'T.

If God IS going to sort it all out, I'd rather be on the side that showed mercy.

You're talking like they play by some kinda rules orrrrr something. They DON'T.

I don't care for there rules, gods or the law- I just know I could not do it. I would give them a good beating no doubt if they scared me. I have a limit and a line i am scared to cross, all too easy

Fair enough. :thumbup:
A very important aspect is knowing and understanding your own capabilities and limitations. I went for many years without owning a gun, mostly because I didn't trust myself with one. I'm still capable of going wack, yo, but that's just the chance you'll have to take if you come poking around my house at night. :|: ;)

More guns is definitely the answer! Yale did a study a while back and found that in EVERY county in the US, where gun laws (owning, obtaining, carrying) were less stringent violent crimes were DRAMATICALLY reduced. Who's going to rob the pretty petite young co-ed at night when theres a good chance shes carrying a derringer on her? Who's coming into a home when theres a good chance of the owner having a high powered handgun by his bed, and more on hand close by?

I don't want my government thinking for me. We have a constitution for a reason, and the SJC agrees, for once!

Once again,an old story .The period of say 1880 to around 1912 it was common practice for many men to carry a little pea shooter pocket pistol .The orginal Saturday night special .It was also a time of very polite society .

Old fat Teddy with the big moustace said it best,walk softly,carry a big stick .

I'm not a gun nut,far from .Do I carry or do I not .Only one way to find out,feel lucky ?:what:

More guns is definitely the answer! Yale did a study a while back and found that in EVERY county in the US, where gun laws (owning, obtaining, carrying) were less stringent violent crimes were DRAMATICALLY reduced. Who's going to rob the pretty petite young co-ed at night when theres a good chance shes carrying a derringer on her? Who's coming into a home when theres a good chance of the owner having a high powered handgun by his bed, and more on hand close by?

I don't want my government thinking for me. We have a constitution for a reason, and the SJC agrees, for once!

:thumbup::thumbup:

Speaking of which, who all knows about the recent Supreme Court decision?

An aside, the right to bear arms does indeed recognize the right for us to defend ourselves from each other, more importantly, it recognizes the fact that this nation's government was built to serve the people, not rule them.

The pendulum swings.

Speaking of which, who all knows about the recent Supreme Court decision?

An aside, the right to bear arms does indeed recognize the right for us to defend ourselves from each other, more importantly, it recognizes the fact that this nation's government was built to serve the people, not rule them.

The pendulum swings.
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/court-a-constitutional-right-to-a-gun/

What else you want to know?

5-4 isnt exactly and overwhelming up holding of our constitution. It means that almost half of our SJC feels our constitution means nothing and should be burned!

Back