Welding a splicing anchor

When my ex was a research assistant at the coast guard academy they had a monster of a rack to test splices etc .

That thing would put over 80,000 psi of tension on a line ,wire rope whatever .It was part of a study on rope stresses done by two honor students who later went on to become admirals . All I remember them as was two normal ornery 20 year olds .:lol:

It was just basically a tensioning rack made of heavy I beams .Something like that might work as it would be portable .Of course it would not be necessary to be quite as heavy .

If a person so desired you could incorporate a hand winch and a load meter to test the splices .Kind of extravagant and just a thought .

Nick,
Sorry, I didn't understand what you ment by "driving it home". My first thought was just something to hold it while you weave it or wtfever. Second thought was along the line of what Al said, something portable, adjustable, easy to transport. I'm thinking maybe a handy man jack with a short piece of pipe welded at the base and one welded to the lifting "foot". Slip one eye over the pipe at the base over the pipe on the lifting foot and back down to the base.

Attachments

• 2007122410480373499.jpg
    2007122410480373499.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 53
Back