weirdest thing put through or stuck in a chipper!

I'll confess to running some bird nests with baby birds through.....but i wasn't taking pleasure in it or pretending to save them.

I've got a great one!

Was working in an upperclass area back in my hometown. The street we were on was a single lane that lead to just a few homes and we were blocking nearly the entire road with the truck and chipper. Both sides were lined by a wooded area and my buddy found a giant puffer mushroom "Calvatia Gigantea," the size of a beach ball -that had gone to spore.

Of course we're all thinking of chipping this bad boy! He tosses it in and BLAMO! The chipper chute was blowing what looked like copper colored smoke! Within seconds it completely envelopes the truck, the chipper, the wood line, the street and almost the entire neighborhood. It was endless!

Now we're having an OH SHIT moment because of where were at -and also that you even couldn't see your hand in front of your face, choking on musty shroom spores!
Seeing the sun shining through the trees and a car coming thru with its headlights on because of our instant war zone like environment was incredible!

Ahhhh, good times.....

I once found a full box of .22 Magnum Ammunition in some shrubs on a job.I threw them into a BC1800,one or two went off but it was all a bit disappointing really.

Please explain?
Smokeless propellant requires constriction to explode,Brass and Lead are softer than the Steel components they would have been impacted by.
No damage was expected and no damage resulted.
Real life Chemical and Metallurgical reactions seldom mimic the Hollywood portrayals that the masses are force fed.

Oh well, still knowingly putting brass and lead, never mind explosives through a chipper........I wouldn't do it to mine, and if someone using mine did it, I wouldn't be happy.

I've got a great one!

Was working in an upperclass area back in my hometown. The street we were on was a single lane that lead to just a few homes and we were blocking nearly the entire road with the truck and chipper. Both sides were lined by a wooded area and my buddy found a giant puffer mushroom "Calvatia Gigantea," the size of a beach ball -that had gone to spore.

Of course we're all thinking of chipping this bad boy! He tosses it in and BLAMO! The chipper chute was blowing what looked like copper colored smoke! Within seconds it completely envelopes the truck, the chipper, the wood line, the street and almost the entire neighborhood. It was endless!

Now we're having an OH SHIT moment because of where were at -and also that you even couldn't see your hand in front of your face, choking on musty shroom spores!
Seeing the sun shining through the trees and a car coming thru with its headlights on because of our instant war zone like environment was incredible!

Ahhhh, good times.....

Kinda had a moment like that with a bunch of pine needles... Rob decided he could fitr more in the truck that way.... OMG the dust. Truck? What truck. I was on the other side of the house when I saw the cloud........

Unfortunately I have been present for an array of different objects going through the chipper. The stock standard saws, blowers,
sporting equipment and bottles. One time the boss pissed off one of the groundies and his mobile phone was discovered in pieces
amongst the mulch.

By far the worst thing that went in, but didn't make it out was a metal lump hammer left in the hopper by a new worker.
All I heard was a god awful grinding of metal and smoke shooting out of the chute. The chipper had completely stopped by itself
bolts and broken blades were in the mulch, upon opening the chipper I found the head of the hammer jammed in like a piece of wood.

Luckily the damage wasn't that bad only cost $400AUD and 1 week to repair.

Owner of a company that I worked for tried (by accident) to chip a falling ax with 5lb head. Major damage, but not to the ax.

Hmm, sledge hammer, blower(brand new) metal rake head, mulch shovel, plastic rake, three mobile phones, phone book, bean bag, soft toys, animal corpses and one possum who decided to sleep in the drum when it was left onsite and was not alive when exiting the chute, sledge hammer was the worst by far totalled the drum so it looked as if the incredible hulk was trying to punch his way out of there.

Back