Wedge Grip cable ends

NickfromWI

King of Splices
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1475

Anyone ever use these? I've been using the Rigguys for about a year now. It's a straight forward enough of a system. But honestly, installation includes 3 small pieces, and wire cutters, pliers, and a drill and some slightly detailed maneuvers. The install could be streamlined.

I bought a pair of WedgeGrips. These things look like a cinch to install, you don't have to unravel the end of the cable. Just drill the tree and crank these things down.

There is a downside- these things are ginormous! The rigguy is smaller than a third the size of these things. I just installed some cables yesterday that were 8' over the walkway to the front door. These things would stand out quite a bit more that the rigguy!

Thoughts?

c6e4d818-ee35-31d4.jpg

Nick,
We have used these on about 12-15 trees, they install quick and easy but we did have 1 strip off the end of the cable on a large oak, we had braced the crotch. We reinstalled a new one and it came off a second time, had me worried bout the rest of them we had installed. We went back to Rig guy on that large oak and no problem. I would be comfortable using them on medium sized trees but not so confident with the larger ones. I guess a guy could back it up with a cable clamp but not sure how well that would hold up. Would like to hear from others as well. When you install them make sure you re tighten the nut after you have released the tension on the cable as it will draw the wedges in deeper.

they were redesigned to avoid user error of not having inner pieces line up right.

Back