Vents in a chip truck box.

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Nick was discussing vents awhile back, I couldn't find the thread so here is a new one.

Anybody out there have experience with them? I've never chipped into a truck with them and never felt like they would do much overall good. Plus, they are a weak spot fwiw, and seems like they might start rusting before the rest of the body.

But never having used them, I was wondering what you folks thought.

Thx.

I've used both and didn't notice any real diff one way or the other. If I had to guess, I'd say they help. They give the air somewhere to go other than right back out the entrance.

IMO don't have a solid roof on the body just use a mesh tarp. Allows the air to escape so cuts down on dust coming back into the chipper air filter PLUS makes the truck way more versatile IMO as you can take the tarp off in a second and load wood with a crane....

Im working on our new chip truck right now so will post pictures soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool!

These work quite well on my truck. If the truck is tilted a little, then there is minor spillage.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407551625.124279.jpg
Just a few little vents make all the difference.
They are at the top of the box on each section of top.

No vents on my chip box, just the open area on the back of the box is enough. Just have to blow out the chippers air filter more often.
Better then having dust blowing ahead into the truck's air conditioning / heater intake vents making a dirty truck interior.

Ive never had a vented truck. I sometimes am curious about whether the truck fills better with vents. Think about it. You blow chips and air in, with an equal volume of air coming back out.

I have meet senseless ones, but not stupid ones.

On the note about chipping, since having the arbor trolley, I have been chipping at medium throttle, smaller pieces, and already partially tray height. Works well. Definitely doesn't pack as tight as full throttle, by a significant amount.

If you were wanting to, it would be easy to make a fold flat custom platform and am air mattress. Siesta! Storms? Indoor storm...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No vents on my chip box, just the open area on the back of the box is enough. Just have to blow out the chippers air filter more often.
Better then having dust blowing ahead into the truck's air conditioning / heater intake vents making a dirty truck interior.

This is kinda what I was thinking. They must tend to rust out, what with all that edge surface area.

Back