Unicender glitch

Dave, I understand your point that if it is safe to use then it is safe. However my opinion comes from the school of hard knocks. Years ago I was ascending with a handled ascender which I thought "safe" , this was before I had found internet forums so hadnt even considered backing it up just thought it safe. After inspecting the ascender later it appeared that a small circlip came off and allowed the pin the cam rotated on to come out resulting in a 37' fall. Very similar fail to this. I guess if I had inspected it prior I might have caught the problem but who knows. This happened 6 years ago and I am still not the fearless climber I used to be.

I have never had cordage fail under body weight.

I have used the unicender and met Morgan personally and think it is a VERY inovative tool and can see its virtues however due to my phobia of falling I cannot trust my life to one. FWIW I use steel biners on my hitchclimber pulley and back up the pulley with cordage. When I ride the crane ball I back up my climbline with my flipline, The fear runs deep in this one:|: 2.jpg

To add to my last comment as a cheap bastid I have lots of old equipment. I see lots of mechanical stuff break on a regular basis, wheels shear off the chipper, brake drums shatering, roll pins fall out the wheel loader etc etc etc. Mechanical devises are by nature prone to failure , we can improve the odds with good design but imo if you use them long enough it will break.

Folks often complain that Wraptors are heavy, that is because we want them to be durable. However they are still backed up with a secondary system!!! We have been kicking the idea around of an ascender that goes up and down but I am hesitant as we would loose our ability to back it up as easily....

Looks to be a much different type of rivet spinner was used in each of those pics. In a pre rock version Morgan used master link clips and an epoxy coating over them to "lock it in place" No peening or spinning involved with that version.

Looked to be a little more labor intensive.

This is the version I have, built by Morgan. I wonder if there is any need for me to have it inspected...I sorta doubt it.

Dave, do you know?

I can give RE a call to find out, easy enough.

I'm betting this is fine, but this one rivet head looks a little funky to me. I'm gonna send it in just to be safe.

love
nick

Attachments

• uni rivet.jpg
    uni rivet.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3
Definitely, which to some degree or another has to weaken the link...who knows how much, but the beginnings of a wallowed out rivet hole are there.

Spinning the rivets too much makes for a thinner and weaker head, and the spinning anvil or whatever it is called, cuts into and scars the side plates. The anvil should have a clean face too, no damage to it. They do wear out and chip, exerting uneven pressure. For a saw chain no biggee, but for something that your life might depend on, I believe that those scars show unacceptable control during the making operation.

Paul, a 37' fall is huge, I'm glad you are still with us. I have no intention of talking you or anyone else into doing something that would make you feel less secure. But to be truly "safer" you must not only recognise why something failed but also why something doesn't fail. You have never had cordage fail under body weight not because it can't but because you never went beyond its limits. Rope when used in life support rarely fails from exceeding load limits but from overuse and damage. Sound familiar? In fact, rope failure is one of the major causes of injury and death in arboriculture. Most climbers, in their career, will touch their rope at least once with a sharp object. That is usually all it takes to recognize the vulnerability of what is supporting you. We don't just climb, we work with sharp objects.

Dave

Burnham, this notification is just on the new "improved" Unicender. Morgan's original, like Gerry said, uses regular chainlinks. The only thing that requires frequent inspection is the epoxy, which sometimes cracks due to use. This must be reapplied if it happens. Though certainly if you would feel better, talk to Morgan. I know he is still rebuilding these and working on them.

Dave

That's the base assumption I've been operating on, Dave. Thanks. Mine looks great, but has not had much use. I sent it around on a THouser trial tour after I got it a couple of years ago, but I've only used it a few hours total myself.

Burnham, we need to hookup some time and climb a few big trees. I can't believe how much SRT and the Uni have changed the way I climb. Less effort and a hole lot more fun. Afterwards we can let the girls talk tree biology while you and I selflessly try to determine who makes the best scotch.

Dave

Selflessly determining who makes the best scotch by filling your mate's glass, is meaningful research indeed. Let us know the findings. :)

Memories...warm memories :D.

Attachments

• Img_0554.Jpg
    Img_0554.Jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 43
  • WestCoastGTG_007.jpg
    WestCoastGTG_007.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 43
  • WestCoastGTG_004.jpg
    WestCoastGTG_004.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 43
  • WestCoastGTG_002.jpg
    WestCoastGTG_002.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 43
well I am the guy who actually had the failed unicender.I dont really know when it came apart. I made 1 climb to 70 feet and came back down, on the second climb after we were both on the ground I noticed the last pin at the tether end was almost completly out, and no backup on the rig.........never agian. anyway, the guys at wesspur called rock the next day when carl brought it in. they sent all of them back and rock started the recall. as for mine within two weeks they not only refunded my 300.00 dollars but rock exotica sent me a replacement, so I got a free one out of the whole thing. I hope that rock takes steps to improve the quality of thier products, a few posts down there are pictures of both a older unit and a newer one. we also have an older one that looks the same and the new one looks as bad. the unit I have now is stamped ( factory inspected ) so they have checked the rivit head sizes and determined they are sufficiently peened over, ok but the look of the parts does'nt inspire a great deal of confidence.I'm using it but only with a v/t for back up. I hope they fix the manufacturing process so future unicenders have the appearance and quality of the older ones....? anyway just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in here.

Back