Unicender glitch

Sucks, but it sure seems like they're stepping WAY up to the plate, too. That's the kind of company I like to do business with. :thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I knew this would be handled by Rock, and that's why I asked the guy who brought in to keep it close and let the company figure out the issue and correct it. He was reluctant at first but agreed.

All my hardwear {if possible} that I need comes from them. Their use of stainless is a big plus for some of the stuff I was doing.

Their attention to detail & customer sevice is the absolute benchmark!!

One reason I like cordage, IMO all mechanical devices need to be backed up

This is a phobia I just don't get. Where do you draw the line? Do you clip in with two carabiners because one might fail? It is just not logical. It would be like having a backup knot for your backup knot on cordage.

I have two Unis from Rock Exotica. One I have been using for 9 months and one brand new. I just became aware of this notification and took a real close look at the rivets. The pictures don't have the clarity I was hoping for, but the older Unicender has far superior quality on both the rivets and the links compared to the newer one. The rivet head size on the newer one varies slightly and shows tooling marks on the links from the riveting process that should not be there.

The first picture is the one in use for 9 months. The second is the brand new...never-been-used...one.

I have total faith in Rock to make this right. And something of this nature will not deter my use of the Unicender in any way. It is a great tool.

Dave

Attachments

• Unicender 9 mos of use.JPG
    Unicender 9 mos of use.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Unicender recal insp.jpg
    Unicender recal insp.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 10
Looks to be a much different type of rivet spinner was used in each of those pics. In a pre rock version Morgan used master link clips and an epoxy coating over them to "lock it in place" No peening or spinning involved with that version.

Looked to be a little more labor intensive.

Looks to be a much different type of rivet spinner was used in each of those pics. In a pre rock version Morgan used master link clips and an epoxy coating over them to "lock it in place" No peening or spinning involved with that version.

Looked to be a little more labor intensive.

This is a phobia I just don't get. Where do you draw the line? Do you clip in with two carabiners because one might fail? It is just not logical. It would be like having a backup knot for your backup knot on cordage.
I think what your saying is, a back up for a back up might be going a little to far.
But any time death or extreme bodily harm enters in the vocation we choose, we each have to take steps that protect ourselves but at the same time allow us to work in a efficient manner.

Efficiency & safety, it's the times these two seem to butt heads we have to decide for our selves whats in our best interest.

I knew this would be handled by Rock, and that's why I asked the guy who brought in to keep it close and let the company figure out the issue and correct it.

What do you mean "keep it close?"

He means keep it to himself for a bit, while the company examines the situation.

That's what I presumed, but now it's on the Treehouse, so what's the difference?

The difference is that it gave Rock Exotica the opportunity to examine the problem and decide on a course of action prior to all the gossip running around. Pretty impressive actually when you think about the speed in which they accomplished this.

Looking at the pics that Dave posted, minor scratches, but a person spinning rivets shouldn't have to scar up the side plates to properly mash the heads. The first one is much cleaner. I believe the new one shows lack of experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's what I presumed, but now it's on the Treehouse, so what's the difference?

I waited to post till it had been released by the concerned party. Were you the the fella who didn't understand the concept of big boy rules?

Yes.

You waited to post, so now I get it.

Dave, yours is a respected opinion, but Paul is a practicing mechanical engineer so I would also highly respect his opinions re mechanical devices.

Cory, I have seen many failures of rope and knots yet that does in no way cause me to trust them less. Miss use and poor design will increase the likelihood of failure, be it rope or mechanical. If something is not safe to use without a backup it might be best to not use it at all. I'm talking primary tools here, like a carabiner, not systems. All tools, rope and knots have a limit that if exceeded, will cause failure. Know the limits of the things you work with and you will know when and what to change to keep safe.

Dave

Back