Truck Buying Advice

But depending on what he want's to do occupationally (Arbor related I'd assume) it's not the 3/4ton he's thinking he'll need.

The Yota's do last forever and are very nifty off road though.

for the truck I just bought I am still on my first tank of fuel!!
I was used to my old truck using a 70 liter tank to get between 200 and 250km, this one is at 420km and down to about 1/4 tank. I think the tank is about 80 liters maytbe a bit more as I put 76 liters in it 5 days ago! might be a small thing to some but if this holds up I might have just cut my fuel bill in HALF.

Also its got way more power than the old tired 351 had. Way more comfy ride. Drawbacks are smaller bed and lower load rating :(

No matter what the EPA ratings say, the Chevy full size pickups get waaay better mileage than the Fords and Dodges. My dad has a Chevy C1500 with the 5.3 and he gets over 20 mpg on the highway. My F150 with 5.4 gets 12-13 around town and 16-17 highway. It makes a HUGE difference.

Modern metallurgy and lubricants have greatly lengthened the life of gas engines-250,000 miles isn't unusual at all. Dieselsare generally good for 400k plus......but given the current costs of fuel and the long life of gas engines I'd prefer gas in my pick-up. Generally, Dodges and Chevys DO get better milage as Brian mentioned. Fords develop fewer rattles on rough roads. Every brand has served me well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I've got a better idea of what to be looking for now, and will have to reconsider the gas/diesel issue.

Well a diesel will last almost forever but they have their own set of problems too . If the starting sysem,glow plugs etc are kept in good shape they fire right up in cold weather.If not,you have problems .

The Ford power strokes can shake an auto tranny to death if they are used extensively pulling heavy loads especially in hilly country .

Ram rodding around in a half ton,I most likely would opt for a gasser.A heavy puller most likely a diesel .

Now those danged Tonka /Toyotos are another thing.The little rascals do run forever or so it seems.I would never own one but in all good faith I can't bad mouth them either .

im tempted to find a nice used toyota for biddig after diesel went up to 4.25 yesterday

The Yota 4 cylinder is a dog but a real reliable engine but the 6 just is a dog even with the extra cylinders.

I have a hard time working on those smaller engines because my hands are too big.
They seem designed to be worked on by guys who have little bitty skinny hands like on a small asian guy.

Did a service yesterday on a Subaru. Damm thing. I had to remove all kinds of stuff just to get at the spark plugs.

Got the tune up done, and the thing was still missing. Finally I traced it to a little crack in one of the spark plug ceramic tops. Drove me nuts. The computer kept throwing a headgasket leak code.
The plug was defective from the factory. Maybe someone dropped the spark plug box in shipping or stocking, don't know. Sure could not see the crack by just looking at it.

Had to hold it to the light and wiggle it to see the crack.

Leon, I'd suggest you at least look at a Toyota Tundra...the pre-2006 models are a nice combination of smaller physical size but with full size hauling/towing capacities. It has a 4.7 liter V8 with lots of get-up-and-go.

My 2003 gives me 18-20 mpg on the highway, tows 7200 lbs., hauls +1700 lbs. I chose to get a 2 wheel drive with LSD for the superior road performance and towing capability, but almost all of them out there are 4x4 and by all reports are good performers.

If you get a pre 2003, make sure it's had the recall work done to upgrade the front brakes.

Mine is as comfortable to drive as a nice sedan, and I think you cannot go wrong with at least considering one.

Last edited:
Thanks Burnham, I'll give those a look. I have a feeling they don't go up for sale often, though.

Tundras, especially the years Burham is talking about have some of the highest ratings in just being a real good truck.

Toyotas are good vehicles, no doubt about it. My wife has a 2004 Toyota Sienna. I like the Tundra, but the towing capacity is not sufficient for my needs. I need to be able to tow 10K up mountains.

I live in a flat area and only need to tow 4,600 lbs. the Tundra sounds like it would the trick.

I've been looking at them. There are some up for sale but are mostly out of my price range.

Back