TreeStuff Vertical Test Environment - Built by Rock Exotica and All Gear

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
TreeStuff, Rock Exotica and All Gear are building a large drop structure called the Vertical Test Environment. Rock Exotica and All Gear have partnered with us on the VTE in order to help drive testing and demonstration to a new level.

We plan to use the VTE not only for dynamic drop testing, but for live demo. We will have the ability to install tree branches onto the VTE and then cut them, using similar branches placed the same way to perform repeat examples showing multiple methods for the same scenario.

Here are some 3d Renders of what we are building.

Thoughts? Criticism? Questions?

Tower04_NoNumbers_0001.jpg

Tower04_NoNumbers_0008.jpg

Tower04_Measured3.jpg

Tower04_masterLayer_0001.jpg

Attachments

• Tower04_NoNumbers_0009.jpg
    Tower04_NoNumbers_0009.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 102
Treestuff pushing the envelope, workin the R+D. Way to go! Hard work and dedication always pays off.

Think about making it from multiple sections of sleeved round tubing. It could then be fully adjustable in height and limb/arm placement. Opposing cables with turnbuckles would facilitate adjustability and be far lighter than bar stock.

Very innovative Nick, once again. I assume the measurements are in feet? It would have to be a pretty solid rig for continual drop testing. I'm not sure how the braces coming out of the base would interfere with falling loads, they would definitely take a beating when failures occur.

Square is stronger than tubular...

True, but round could be made strong enough and would allow pivoting the arms into many different configurations. Like having the drop zone not being directly over the lower bracing.

Destruction testing and demos was more my thing....

That was my thought too. I think it's a great idea and would make a versatile demonstration platform.

Nick, is your thought for this a permanent site build or something that could be transported?

The central tower is going to be rotated 45 degrees to the lower bracing.

It will be semi mobile. Crane of sorts required

Looks like it needs a loader universal mounting plate welded on. Maybe some flip down/ screw down casters, a la tongue jacks for trailers.

Is this going to be used to collect data? If so I think it needs to be substantially stronger than a central column because the deflection will skew the data collected.

I'm not so sure. A slight amount of deflection might more accurately represent the forces we actually experience in a tree. The rigging testing would be done using tree limbs strapped onto the structure, if I understand Nick's intent, so there will be shock-absorbing deflection at any rate.

Kind of like the doubling force calculated on a base-tied SRT setup is based on parallel lines and zero friction, whch is not representative of what actually takes place in our work most of the time.

Nic, just how portable (modular) is your device at this point in time? If your measurements are in feet, as I see in your CAD, it will be an imposing structure in to see setup in itself. Let alone what it's designed to do. Absorbing tons of load! A machine that would command much manpower and energy to move and setup merely to demonstrate rigging principals at a trade show. I'm assuming this is pretty much a fixed design and this point.

For years I've often used small models in my videos to demonstrate basic principals. But for real hard in number crunching in heavy rigging loads your beefy version will prove its worth.

There's certainly plenty of room to fill both ends of the spectrum in the ideas of test and demonstration devices, which has long been one of my fancies, and probably one of many others on this forum as well, I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck in this big adventure.

I'm not so sure. A slight amount of deflection might more accurately represent the forces we actually experience in a tree. The rigging testing would be done using tree limbs strapped onto the structure, if I understand Nick's intent, so there will be shock-absorbing deflection at any rate.

Kind of like the doubling force calculated on a base-tied SRT setup is based on parallel lines and zero friction, whch is not representative of what actually takes place in our work most of the time.

I think I understand Nick's intent but if it were my baby I would build it beefier if the main goal is destruction testing.

I also like "beefier" so no disagreement from me other than the points I mentioned but the design is clearly a comprise on strength vs weight. So much so that I don't believe that the load bearing arms can be moved without comprising the main column.

If it were to be a permanent site build, I would like to see the main "trunk" more self-supporting or at least to have the bracing evenly spaced, like a buttress flair, so force and load measurements would be consistent regardless of how the load angles changed.

Speaking of the arms, seems if they are to depict in-tree scenarios, limbs would need to be placed at an upward angle. Having the arm bracing run out to the end of the arm would offer that as a possible mounting surface.

We plan to use the VTE not only for dynamic drop testing, but for live demo. We will have the ability to install tree branches onto the VTE and then cut them, using similar branches placed the same way to perform repeat examples showing multiple methods for the same scenario.

Thoughts? Criticism? Questions?

No mention of destruction testing, just dynamic testing.

If its got limbs secured to it, they may be the weak link. Included crotches, side loading, barber-chairing, etc

Ok. maybe so. I am not reading it in context.

I guess my point is that you can destructively test a pencil and a match stick, as well as a 100k# breaking strength something or other.

Back