tree radar

• Thread starter xtremetrees
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 2K
X

xtremetrees

What do yall think about it.
How does it measure up to a resistograper (sp). Ill be looking at one tommorrow and will upload the pics.
Heres the link to the manufacture or brochure on it.
A friend in the trees has one and I just wanted a review. Science looks legit. Any yall seen it.
http://www.treeradar.com/TRU 2-Page Brochure 2006.pdf

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree jonserdbred. It seems its place would be in the non commercial market, ie city, municipal arborist and the like. It looks very effective in determining the exact amount of holding wood thou. I dont know how but it seems to show it. Ill take pics and upload um tomm. Thing is most live holler trees is strong and most dead solid trees is weak. It could be a very useful tool thou especially with dead conifers that I most frequently climb. Say 20 % holding wood , danger will Robinson?

I have had them demo'd for me at the shows. It is a bit difficult to interpet, and the cost is high. Also the software is expensive.

As a consulting biz tool it would be good. As a practicing arborist, well, not for me.
To do just consulting is not easy:
ASCA= 400+dollars a year & lots of C.E.Us to keep up with.

Errors & Omissions insurance

Liability insurance

Reputation so you can actually land jobs

Expert witness training for all the court cases you would be called in on to testify in tree failure cases

Ability and training to continually write reports

Ability to decipher builders plans, blueprints, plot maps, etc etc

You have to be very careful how you word your tree stability reports. Liability is a very real concern as you would be named in lawsuits.

Extreme, you would have to undergo some serious revamping of your written skills

Heres the pics.
Mathew states, "So far 50 units have been sold planet wide, 7 of which are here in the United states. "
I was very impressed with it. You can climb with it the unit comes with extra long cabling that feeds directly into a monitor which I didn't get any pics of. Looks like it weighs less than a chainsaw. The wheel at the bottom of the unit helps when sliding the unit around a cylinder such as a tree. The coupling looked stout enough to withstand the weight of the extra cabling while working it aloft. I believe he said 15 or 20 extra feet of cable. If the main trunk was that tall I could see how you'd need that long a cabling. Thou it seems the majority of a tree requiring scanning would probably be only 5-8 feet high which you could do from the ground.
Crap I gotta resize the picks I'll work on it and report back.

I had to make a slide show and upload it to you tube. Its 50 seconds of picks first 4 or 5 picks are of the unit. The followling are the graphs, which I found the most impressive. This beats the resistograph hands down which I've never seen btw. The graph is so simple which I think most good things are that you dont have to read greek or latin to understand it. Lets see if the youtubes ready.
I have subcontracted for this company before and I liked working for. His goal is to have 5 of these units in 5 years working full time. The units run about 20,000 each as I understand it and comes with monitor and root surveyor on wheels as well. Kinda like they use on CSI for detect distrubed soil area. The graphs for the roots look far more complicated as it is not a pie chart but rather a line graph.
Hope you liked my review. Heres the youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxarqSeeVO4

In the circle graph the red in the center of the circle is the decay. Scanning from 5 feet up then 4 feet then 3 feet then finally from 2 feet from the ground which it seems mostly solid wood..

the data ain't that good on those units.........they dont' "xray" roots

Back