top handle saw

Plugs don't often go bad, but carbon buildup can weaken the spark, that's why I like to hit them with a wire brush once-in-awhile.

I've got one of these, makes'em just like new.;) (Usually)

Attachments

• spark_plug_cleaner.jpg
    spark_plug_cleaner.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 42
A wire brush on a grinder does a good job too . I haven't seen one of those sandblasters for years .Champion used to make one that would test a plug under compression by injecting air into a cylinder .You watched the plug fire through a mirror .

I've got some model of little Echo in the shed .It had sat for maybe 10-15 years with the recoil fouled .

The little rascal has 1/4" chain on it,looks new .

I fixed the recoil ,primed the carb and it fired on a couple of pulls .Cut like crazy maybe 5 minutes ,died .Most likely funkiness from the tank fouled the carb .

It was a climbers saw of old . I'll get it going when it warms up .

spark plugs dont go bad??? uh huh--had that happen on both cars and chainsaws enough---plugs are cheap---like al said--they need to fire under compression--ive seen em fire in free air--but not under compression--and no, i dont know why-----

I'm not saying they don't go bad just seldom on a saw.Why I can't answer .I've got saws I've owned for 30 plus years I've never changed the plug .Fact is never rebuilt the carbs either .

An automobile is different .Before HV ignitions and platnum plugs it was about every 10 thou or less because you would burn the electrodes right off of them . I think they go like a 100 thou any more .

So does Sthil! :rockon:

Now if Stihl had not FU the FS 250 and got too cheap in the carb and plastic department... I would have the five I had... Still have 4. The 5 year olds work great and the wand doubles as a pole saw and hedger. The two left that are now just over 2 seasons old... POS. The third one I bought before the other two died cause the CHEAPO carb leaned it out and fried it.. THANKS ZAMA.
Did I mention I have one that needs a new carb for the third time now??:X

Stihl has some serious shit to fix before I buy some of their equipment again.
Still love my Stihl saws though :D

Vapor lock is the gasoline turning into a vapor in the carb from the heat. It is actually boiling. The new gas is supposed to be worse for it than the old stuff. Keeping the dust out of the cooling fins etc. so the engine stays as cool as possible will help.

Thanks for the info.8)

I'm not so sure you can get true vapor lock on a chainsaw .

The old Homelites would boil the gas in the tank perhaps but I never saw one lock up .

With a modern saw the gas tank is in the back plus the carb is right in the airflow so it stays relatively cool .Besides that a diaphragm carb has no float chamber like a regular carb thus really no where for the gas to vaporize inside the carb for all intents .

If any thing related to fuel delivery I would assume it could be experiencing a pressurized tank which could actually flood the damned thing .Thus causing the operator to utter expletives and mutterings .

In my opinion heat causes electronic ignition modules to act up rather than actually cause vapor lock .

Al, Disagreeing with you on matters of saw mechanics is a an audacious thing but, having experienced lots of fuel related saw problems in hot conditions, I remain convinced that saws can vapor lock. At least to the extent that fuel vaporizes in the lines and the diaphragm winds up pumping bubbles instead of fully liquid fuel.

My point of arguement ,really more of an observation is that modern saws are shock mounted .

The older rigid mount Homelites ,McCullochs and others had the carb bolted directly to the engine and as such could be prone to problems of hot fuel .

More modern Stihls ,Husqvarnas etc have a seperate isolated tank and are booted to the carb .For all intents isolating the carb from most of the heat from the cylinder .

I'm not saying it's totally impossible to get a vapor lock type situation but I just don't see how on modern designs .Having said that though I've spent my time jerking on the rope of an old saw which was hot many a time . Makes a person a tad bit miffed I might add .:(

A hot day , a hot saw , and running it completely out of fuel .... then refueling and .... you'll have VaporLock .... Goes away though ..

.... you'll have VaporLock .... Goes away though ..
Early on I ran a Mac PM 610 out of fuel constantly and of course the SOB wouldn't start .

It took me a while to figure out what was happening .The darned thing was over heating the coil by running it out of fuel hot . I know so because it was sparkless .

If I gave it just 30 seconds of idle down before I hit the kill switch that old faithful thing would fire first time every time .

Hey Al, my dad has a little Mac 130 that he says vapor locks after extend running. He has trimmed alot of trees with it.

No clue on this end, but he has had it since new and has gotten his money worth.

A Mini is just a giant little pain in the butt in a small package . The stupid little things have a side mounted carb right directly mounted to a horizontal cylinder . The fuel line runs right up next to cylinder as well and towards the top of it where it gets the hottest .

I have spent literally hour upon hour working on those damned things .One that runs correctly does pretty good for a micro saw .One that is not exactly right would make a preacher cuss .

A Mini is just a giant little pain in the butt in a small package . The stupid little things have a side mounted carb right directly mounted to a horizontal cylinder . The fuel line runs right up next to cylinder as well and towards the top of it where it gets the hottest .

I have spent literally hour upon hour working on those damned things .One that runs correctly does pretty good for a micro saw .One that is not exactly right would make a preacher cuss .

Hey Al I emailed dad your post. He said yep that pretty much describes the 130 its whole life of use.
I went through his 130 and 3300 (not running at the time) during Thanksgiving, he bought them both new back when :O . So he should be good to go for awhile.

My wifes cousin has either a 130 or 140 ,I forgot which . A tad different than the 110-120 or even the mini Mac 6 . Fact it might not even be that number .

That contraption has a spring suspension and a wire controlled throttle .I must have wrenched that little POS for week ,all told . I finally found him a Poulan S-25 for about 25 Bucks on E-bay and haven't seen hide nor hair of him complaining about a saw not running .

So,maybe the best fix for a mini is to jerk the chain and park an old Poulan under it .:lol:

Back