top handle saw

Paul try and richen the low jet. Sounds like you aren't transferring from idle to the power side very well.

What Wiley P. said and try keeping it in the cab on the way to the job on really cold days.

Small echos are finicky little pissant saws - I HATE ECHO - cept the old stuff and maybe the big sawz - such a load off when I quit running those cs300 ands 340's

I shall speak in defense of Echos. I Have an Echo Power Pruner, a CS3000 an d a CS3400. They are all super reliable. Paul you live pretty much at sea level, and it is humid -perfect conditions for getting top performance out of the little saw....but even if it were perfectly tuned when you bought it (doubtful) and even if it hasn't been run in enough to require minor adjustment, when you pulled the screen from the exhaust (bless your little thumpin' gizzard) you changed the tune. Follow the Madsen's site instructions-they work(Of course it gets easier with practice)
BTW, First course of action before changing spark plug or adjusting carburetor settings should be a fresh fuel filter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Justin, its on the list as well. Air filter, fuel pickup/filter and spark plug.

my old boss has one of those that has problems all of the time too. I think to start his he holds down the throttle all of the way then it starts. If he runs it for a long time then shuts it off, it is really hard to start, he thinks it is caused by "vapor locking"...i guess that is air trapped in the carb or something. Anybody heard of this?

Vapor lock is the gasoline turning into a vapor in the carb from the heat. It is actually boiling. The new gas is supposed to be worse for it than the old stuff. Keeping the dust out of the cooling fins etc. so the engine stays as cool as possible will help.

In defense of Echo... I have two 360Ts, their larger heavier Pole Pruner, A 411U and 311U Brusher/Weed eater, and I guess you could count the Bear Cat Chipper... The only weak point in the tools I have of theirs was the Honda V-Twin 24 horse on the chipper. Granted my 200T kicks the 360Ts butt. I have used the 360s in numerous trees just fine though. As far as the pole pruner and brushers... They kick butt. The brushers will out live, gun and cut any FS250 anyday... JMO :D

i sold the 360t that was given to me. gutless even with the muffler opened. rattled around the truck for awhile. got sick of bars and wrenches not fitting it.

Too lean on the low speed .

This is typical of a saw that sits a long time .The low speed jet is the one closest to the cylinder.Turn it counter clockwise about a 1/4 of a turn and see if that helps .

ok, new fuel filter, air filter and spark plug. $42 bucks.

I just looked at Baileys on line and the same air filter I just paid $23!!! for is $11.95 from them. Last time I shop at that local store for parts!

possibly, that was the cheapest part tho and I havent changed it in the 4 or 5 years I have had the saw. I will have to see what the old plug looks like when it comes out. :)

Was Mike against changing plugs? I forget.

My last truck engine would disagree with that. it killed three plugs in a row in the same cylinder in 2 or so weeks. frazzled the metal bit at the tip and covered it with carbon or some other such gunk.
But since I arent a mechanic, I shall not argue too loudly.

The insulator fell off the plug in my Dad's Husky 371 and doinked the piston....but is was still a good spark plug I suppose- in Maasland.

perhaps the plugs dont go bad on their own but they can be mistreated by the rest of the engine and become emotional and ineffective? :)

Seldom does a spark plug go bad .9 times out of ten saw problems are directly related to the fuel delivery system .

If a person is really concerned about the plug ,change it .They only cost about 4-5 bucks tops .

Back