"To build a fire" by Jack London

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I watched most of that, its interesting but not as good as reading the short story.

I visited jack London's northern California residence once, now a state park. Jack wasn't there...or he might have been buried there, can't recall.

Any of you blokes ever read the story?

I'm way behind on my story reading.
Am first gonna get up to date on French military history re. Last of the Mohicans with General Gilbert Lafeyette.

I haven't read it, but Hemingway's, "Old man and the Sea", certainly made an impression when read as a youngun. Some great story of futility there.

Yes read it. Jack London was a great writer. Weird that so many of the "adventure writers" I read as a kid(London, Hemingway. Ruark) died young or committed suicide.

middle school reading but it comes up in my memory a lot.

i love winter hiking and building a fire in the snow always brings back this story.

To Build a Fire and Call of the Wild by Jack London were good reads and, actually, had a large impact on me as a kid.

I think a lot of youse would really enjoy a book by James Campbell called "The Final Frontiersman"
Non fiction.
Google "Heimo Korth" if interested.
You know you've got a great book if you can pick it up a year later and still get tons of enjoyment out of it.
Robert Mason's "Chickenhawk" (Vietnam) fits into that category, imo.

I'm way behind on my story reading.
Am first gonna get up to date on French military history re. Last of the Mohicans with General Gilbert Lafeyette.
"Fire" is a quick read, maybe an hour, if memory serves.

I haven't read it, but Hemingway's, "Old man and the Sea", certainly made an impression when read as a youngun. Some great story of futility there.

Different authors and styles of course, but you liked the former so I think you'd like the latter too.

To Build a Fire and Call of the Wild by Jack London were good reads and, actually, had a large impact on me as a kid.

Same here, too

I think a lot of youse would really enjoy a book by James Campbell called "The Final Frontiersman"
Non fiction.
Google "Heimo Korth" if interested.

Ha, that's on my long list, I have the book. What is Chickenhawk about, specifically?

"Chickenhawk" (nonfiction) based on Mason's experience in Vietnam war as a Huey pilot.
Subject matter completely unrelated to Jack London's genre; please forgive derail.

No derail at all. Thx.

Back