Tire Recommendations

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I have bean putting it off for a while now, but the 1 ton needs new rear tires. Can anyone recomend a good 235/85/16 Load Range E tire? Anyone have any luck/no luck with a certain tire?

Want to spend between $100-$125ish for each tire.

Thanks,

B

I run Coopers on my 1 ton Dodge and am more than happy.

I run BF commercial t/a tractions studded for my trucks in the winter those tires laugh at whatever weight you throw on 'em and grip insane, but probably not what you're looking for Brendon.

I know I posted the Tire Rack thing but I've never owned Pirellis. I have owned Michelins though and most models are very good. Currently have Cross Terrains (cushy smooth SUV tires) on my pickup but the LTX is a great work tire. Smooth, long wearing and excellent wet traction.

I have no clue how they would work in ice, snow or mud. :P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I bought the truck, the guy had just put 2 new front tires which are Cooper Discoverer ATR. The backs are also Cooper but a different model and plain old spanked.

I am wondering if I should just get the tires as the front, so they can all be rotated properly. And they fit into my budget, @ $118.

Which brings me to the next question. Whats the correct way to rotate tires on a dually?

Thanks for the replys guys,

B

Which brings me to the next question. Whats the correct way to rotate tires on a dually?

B

I have had great luck with the Michelin Traction but they have switched to the AT2 now. Getting about 60 thou. miles on a set right now. 'bout ready to replace them.
I drive consistently off road
But they cost more than your budget allows.
Dont buy Toyo, they wont last, great traction but they will chunk on you.

As for rotating duallys, take the outermost rear tire, bring it to the front. Take the front and put it on the inside of the rear (so the inner rear is now on the outside).

BF Goodrich makes a good tire, Cooper has been around for like 100 years. Buying good LTX (light truck) tires is tuff. All the load range E tires are not made the same.
Always keep the tires on the same side of the truck, dont cross rotate radials.

This is just my personal experience, but the Cooper ST or maybe it's STT, tires, the ones with the mudder-ish type tread, have far outlasted any other I have run on my pickup. I don't know current pricing, as I haven't bought a set lately.My pickup came with Michelen all seasons. Might have gotten 18,000 out of them. Tried a Cooper highway tread, same thing, about 18,000. Then I got a set of the Cooper STTs. I can routinely get 25-30,000 out of a set. And that is with a 500 HP pickup towing on average 10-13,000 pounds. Traction in mud and snow is great, I also plowed snow with this truck. Wet traction I can't vouch for, as this truck WILL NOT hook up an a wet road. Just about all of the contractors around run this tire now on their pickups and one-tons. Again, I don't know the price now, I think they were $130 last time.

Dave

500HP pickup? uhm yeah, pics please. is it one of these? :)
112_0401_01l+2004_dodge_ram_srt_10_pickup+front.jpg

probably diesel if hes pulling that weight alot.
brendan the longest lasting tires ive had were the stock michelins on my dodge but they are highway tires. dont know if that matters. i dropped big bucks on some toyos last year, theyre about 3700 # per tire single and had them siped, they are wearing bad so i wont do that again. if the bfg all terrains are load range e ill probably go back to those next year

Nope, more useful than that. I've only got one or two pics of the truck. Here is one from last spring.

1999 2500 Cummins
Converted to 6 speed
TST Competition Computer
(much)Bigger injectors
500+HP, 1200ft/lbs flywheel, 400 HP 940 ft/lbs rear wheels
Quicker to 100mph than my friends 420HP Cobra:P
Lots of bald tires and broken parts

Dave

Here it is. That's your truck from the truck thread right Dave? Chipped diesel that must be a pretty hyped up chip to get 500 horse out of a 99 no?

Woh just saw your post, that's some crazy power!

P-ups with open beds are light on the rear end so they hop or skitter on the road. Causes excessive tread wear.

I dont like maxing out engines like that, reduces their life. But I understand why to do it.
Mo, Power! :)

P-ups with open beds are light on the rear end so they hop or skitter on the road. Causes excessive tread wear.

I dont like maxing out engines like that, reduces their life. But I understand why to do it.
Mo, Power! :)

Yes, pickups are really terrible for traction. Wet roads are a hazard for laying into the throttle hard up to about 90 MPH.:D

I don't know that you are really reducing the life of the Cummins that much, unless you are overheating the engine. Even if you reduced the life to 500k, you still have to have some truck left. ;) Cummins runs much higher horsepowers in the marine versions due to having better cooling of intake air with water to air intercoolers. Twin turbos make a huge difference there. I can run about 350 HP towing without running the pyro into unsafe territory, which is 1300 F. The newer CR Dodges can put out way more power than me with a chip that just plugs in under the dash.:roll:

Dave

Back