Time to Learn Something New

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 10K
I recommend all metal scissors. The best I've used are the curved-bladed ones sold for pruning shears, made by ARS. I've tried to find them lately and I can't find a link for the life of me. They used to be sold in the arb catalogs, but I don't see them any more.

Failing that, the best I've seen at craft stores are made by the Gingher company. Something along the lines of:

g_124.jpg

Fiskars makes a similar pair of all stainless scissors. I recommend not getting something with plastic handles. And this might be an over statement, but if it costs less than $5, don't buy it. I've bought a bunch of arts and crafts level scissors at all the departments stores and on all of them you can feel them bend under the pressure of cutting through a rope. You sorta have to scissor-saw at the rope to get all the way through. A good pair of rope scissors should make it all the way through a 1/2" rope cleanly in one pass.

Does anyone have a website for the ARS company?

love
nick

I would add that cutting through a rope is only a part of the job of splicing scissors.
Cutting the taper is the greater job of scissors. I use two, one for big cutting and another smaller one of doing the taper

Good point, Frans. I am fortunate that the rose clipping scissors are great at both. If that wasn't an option, I'd also buy a big and small pair of scissors.

Riverrat, did you buy the rope in all those little pieces, or did you chop it when you got it?

love
nick

Of course you MUST have this. It is an essential part of any good splicers arsenal

Attachments

• BeattyAxeBroad_11half.jpg
    BeattyAxeBroad_11half.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 69
Another source for a good heavy duty scissors is a electric supply house that sells Klein Tools. They make one that works on Kevlar fibers. I use it when splicing fiber optic cables. It well work great for cutting on rope.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Riverrat, did you buy the rope in all those little pieces, or did you chop it when you got it?
Nick, that's the same as asking if I'm stupid....or shop at Walmart {sorry Butch itwasajoke:D}

No Nick, you doofus, it was offered like that & I ordered it. Fit my needs for the learnen you are going to help me with :D

I've tried the Klein scissors. They work alot like those scissors that cut pennies. But fold a bit when cutting rope fibers. But they are real nice scissors.
you can find them at the Buckinham's web site, I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well Nick they LOOK like they would work.

Mark, thanks for posting that. I've been looking all over for those. The one's I have now I actually bought at Aerial Equipment in 2001 and they're still kicking!!!

love
nick

Sorry I have not got back to you sooner Nick been out of town. I well get the number off them when get back to work on Tuesday. I looked on Klein's web site but of course there about 20 different scissors on there and I can't pick the exact ones I have. They came in a fiber optic splicing kit that I got for work.

Here is the number off the scissors that I have. Klein 2100-7 they have a very fine toothed serrated edge that grabs the fibers and holds them so they are easily cut. Sorry it took so long to get the information.

what class is stable braid? looking through the sampson website and cant figure which is what

Stable braid is class 1 double braid. Polyester cover and polyester core.

Are you giving the splice a shot?

If you're doing used rope, wash it first.

Let us know if you have any questions.

love
nick

brand new, i have a roll of 5/8 in the shop and need a new line figure i ought to splice it first. thanks

Back