Thoughts on treework prices nationwide

Yea, for sure. Anything I say should be filtered through the knowledge I value time much more than money. Never been a business owner, but I could have doubled my pay over the years by being willing to jump ship, and working lots of overtime. I still wouldn't be rich, and my time would be gone forever. I'd have also lost an employer that's got my back.

I'm not sure how to apply that to owning a tree company, since I don't own a company, and don't work in the business. Maybe it's a matter of just turning down jobs, or telling prospective clients they should look elsewhere, or be willing to wait months? My thinking is if you have the skill and professionalism, your services will be desired, and it won't lead to many people not even considering your services due to unavailability.

edit:
Of course it's all predicated on the assumption the individual enjoys treework. If someone's doing it *just* to make money, they've got more problems than size issues.

Last edited:
Yea, for sure. Anything I say should be filtered through the knowledge I value time much more than money. Never been a business owner, but I could have doubled my pay over the years by being willing to jump ship, and working lots of overtime. I still wouldn't be rich, and my time would be gone forever. I'd have also lost an employer that's got my back.

I'm not sure how to apply that to owning a tree company, since I don't own a company, and don't work in the business. Maybe it's a matter of just turning down jobs, or telling prospective clients they should look elsewhere, or be willing to wait months? My thinking is if you have the skill and professionalism, your services will be desired, and it won't lead to many people not even considering your services due to unavailability.

edit:
Of course it's all predicated on the assumption the individual enjoys treework. If someone's doing it *just* to make money, they've got more problems than size issues.
While your input is always valued, it tends to carry less weight when the topic is treeco owners discussing issues concerning business ownership with other treeco owners. But thanks for your thoughts.

Wow what a great topic! I have had my own tree service company twice each time a different way. First with a chipper, sawmill and chip truck. Sold that and started a 2nd time with a chipper, bucket, sawmill, and crane( thanks dad! it was his from contracting days, I made payments to the bank of dad) I had been running a crane since I was 8 haha. That was a good run, profitable and Hawaii is awesome 🤙. I put all of it behind me 8 years ago. I have been living here in the PNWet for 3 years and I think that I will begin again. Smaller than ever and only 3 days a week. I have saws, climbing gear, F350 7.3L w/aluminum dump bed, 9" disc chipper, 2000lbs capstan winch and most importantly 2 teenage sons that want to learn how to climb! Suggestions? 20200624_052856.jpg

Wow what a great topic! I have had my own tree service company twice each time a different way. First with a chipper, sawmill and chip truck. Sold that and started a 2nd time with a chipper, bucket, sawmill, and crane( thanks dad! it was his from contracting days, I made payments to the bank of dad) I had been running a crane since I was 8 haha. That was a good run, profitable and Hawaii is awesome 🤙. I put all of it behind me 8 years ago. I have been living here in the PNWet for 3 years and I think that I will begin again. Smaller than ever and only 3 days a week. I have saws, climbing gear, F350 7.3L w/aluminum dump bed, 9" disc chipper, 2000lbs capstan winch and most importantly 2 teenage sons that want to learn how to climb! Suggestions?View attachment 102495
Welcome.

It's worth introducing yourself, in a dedicated thread, or the Welcome New Members thread, which I bumped.
"New Posts" under the three line menu button is your friend. "What's New", too, if I recall correctly.

Where are you? Oly, here.

Welcome.

It's worth introducing yourself, in a dedicated thread, or the Welcome New Members thread, which I bumped.
"New Posts" under the three line menu button is your friend. "What's New", too, if I recall correctly.

Where are you? Oly, here.

Prices/day rates/ min charges, it is all so relative to cost of doing business in your particular region.
makes this subject interesting to read, but almost wholly academic.

How many people/bits of equipment does those figures of $1500- $1800 per day encompass?
Two people and an a chipper...three people??? Curious

Truck Chipper myself two groundspeople bucket if needed and either my Boxer or Toolcat. Cape Cod is filled with second and third homeowners. Most of my clients are 3-5 G yearly. Cold calls are usually locals and bring a third of that. I do whatever I can to help out the locals. We are what makes this place work.

I am in the same boat about a third of my work is from FIB's (Frigging Illinois Bastards) with their 2nd or 5th home. You have to take care of the locals.

Alight, I warned you. Maybe just memorize the past three greatest QB's from GB and that might buy you some time to head south of the boarder while being chased by some cows. After that I can't help you. For real your life may be in danger.

A hair cut.

Put them to work.
Get a Haircut and Get a Real Job 🤑

"Money gets 'em to show up and pride in workmanship keeps the good guys coming back!", My Dad
Okay to any and all of you PNWet guys any suggestions on pricing formulas would be greatly appreciated 🙏. Feel free to post or PM

I have found that for me, 1850$ A day leaves a net profit of 300 bucks.

I can't speak to other markets. I ran a tree service from 2000-2003. Before that, I worked for one. One thing that discourages me from entering the market again is a typical residential pruning job or removal pays less than it did in 2000.