This American Life

I like that show in small doses. Sometimes the eerie mood music and the alt attitude gets to me. Still they've had some real classic stuff on there.

i love the show. i find myself just standing mid action to listen. even when i dont agree with the viewpoints they are almost always good stories well told.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I find it a good replacement for TV...I've probably listened to over 2/3rds of the stories in the radio archive on the site. It's something I'm happy to send my tax dollars to.

I think you'll find its the local stations that need the money not programs like that. Rural public radio would be dead without federal dollars as would, mail services and other things that just don't make economic sense in the middle of nowhere.

I was wondering about that comment, Nick. PHC is a wait-for-hours-for-a-smirk show to me, while TAL is always different, sometimes hilarious, sometimes informative, almost always interesting.

Got a little boring for a while when they were re-re-explaining the mortgage crisis/recession stuff.

But I got a lot more knowledge because of it. I'll happily continue to contribute and give my tax dollars.

Totally agree OM. I guess I was just missing the funnies while the sad stuff was being broadcast and re-broadcast. Their coverage on the crisis was comprehensive and easy to understand.

...so the entire show dedicated to Hassidic Jews ruining the Public Schools in my hometown. Kudos to Ira Glass and staff for having the balls to air this story

I heard a little bit of that story as I was running around last weekend. What's your take on the story?

I thought about it a lot. Basically, they deserve what they earned. They won. They got people out to vote. Their school system is in shambles because the non hassidic population LET them win. And if the non-Jews cared enough, they'd get off their asses and get people to vote. Instead you end up with a very vocal core group at the meeting and everyone one else at home watching TV.

Good for the hassids.

love
nick

I thought about it a lot. Basically, they deserve what they earned. They'll They've They've won. They got people out to vote. Their school system is in shambles because the non hassidic population LET them win. And if the non-Jews cared enough, they'd get off their asses and get people to vote. Instead you end up with a very vocal core group at the meeting and everyone one else at home watching TV.

Good for the hassids.

love
nick
....one way of looking at it Nick. I grew up there right next door to New Square (closed Hassid community)..... Much like the Palestinians in Ramallah and Gaza also devout Catholics , they breed like rats. Resulting numbers make them impossible to out- vote them. Story at the polls for school board was clearly told.

Back