Losing the American Amazon.

that is interesting and sadly crazy. Never heard of the spot, like a lot of folks apparently

When I read the tread title, I thought it was going to reference Trump opening up the Tongass to roading and more logging. I've heard it referred to as Americas Amazon

Never heard of it either. Interesting article, but I don't see things improving there.

Somehow I get the vibe that things may be starting to turn around toward the positive side of things. The 'net spreads info so far, wide, and fast that important info about preserving our planet can get more traction than in the old days, and folks at the grassroots level making a difference. Kinda generalized statement but it'd be nice if true

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
passing theough alabama, i got the impression it was monoculture pulpwood pines. kind of like everyone talks about how wild and awesome the UP in Michigan is. most boring, environmentally destroyed stretch of land put there.

That was a good article, Kevin. Hard for people to care about something they don't know about.

As long as there is financial gain in destructive business practices, they will continue. Governmental interventions will not control them enough if there is still incentive to bypass those controls or continue bad practices the moment controls are removed.

When companies and people do immoral and destructive things, they are the ones that need to feel the negative repercussions for what they did. Blaming someone else for not taking control or regulating them, misses the mark, big-time.

so they are supposed to self inflict the negative repercussions on their own? as a community and as a society (government, law enforcement, consumers, regulators, all if us) we ned to inflict negative repercussions upon them. they are not going to do it themselves. and when regulators, law enforcement, ad politicians turn a blind eye and take a payout to not inflict negative repercussions, we absolutely must blame them and inflict negative repercussions on them as well.

... when regulators, law enforcement, ad politicians turn a blind eye and take a payout to not inflict negative repercussions...

As is your normal, you 'almost' grasped my point. It is in your above statement that makes 'real' control impossible. Take away financial gain in doing, knowingly destructive practices, and you take away their reasons for doing so.

Regulations don't stop what is profitable, they just shift where it is done. Think about it.

There is nothing being done, that a modest amount of research can not find. Take any major company or organization, GM, Monsanto, oil and gas, big ag. Expose an impropriety of their doing and boycott that company or organization, directly, until they get it right, and not just move it to some other country.

Look at all that has happened with the hash tag movements. One social mistake, and a CEO gets sh**-canned. If people cared enough to act instead of expecting someone else to fix it, things would get done.

But if people don't truly care... good luck with any meaningful changes.

so they are supposed to self inflict the negative repercussions on their own? as a community and as a society (government, law enforcement, consumers, regulators, all if us) we ned to inflict negative repercussions upon them. they are not going to do it themselves. and when regulators, law enforcement, ad politicians turn a blind eye and take a payout to not inflict negative repercussions, we absolutely must blame them and inflict negative repercussions on them as well.

if people cared enough to act... meaning what? not buying oil or wiping their ass with alabama toilet paper? what are the avenues to act without being in your eyes a whiner?

apparently not. putting a financial monetary value on it is a fools game. as is the myth of individual responsibility.

if you ever meet a responsible individual, let me know.

Last edited:
" If you've seen one Redwood, you've seen them all"

Ronald Reagan.

in another 40 years there will be little left to cry over. ill probably be fine

i would love these responsible individuals to be found and take some responsibility.

California really cares about Alabama now eh?

What a load of shit.
so even writing an article about something is a load of shit. even educating people about an issue that some might care about is crossing the line. people should just mind their own business. the free market will solve it. trust the market.

Maybe post the Center for Biological diversity interview with him.

Gawd almighty.

Lets have some friggin details.

So sick of "wees all gonna die!" "reporting"......

Its like the movie Canadian Bacon is on a permanent loop..

Kevin, if you approach a task believing you will fail, you most likely will.

Back