The Zipline/Speedline: Over or Under-rated?

Most of the work I do is on pretty steep ground where hauling brush just sucks, so I tend to use it quite a bit. Last weekend I made a zipline just to haul brush and firewood down a slope. We carried each bundle 10-20 ft to the zipline and then let gravity take it the remaining 200+ ft. It wasn't even a difficult carry because there was a trail going from the log right to the destination, but the zipline still saved us 2-3 hours that day. In the time it would take to carry one bundle 200 ft and then walk back to grab another, I was sending 10-20 bundles down and didn't have to walk back up the hill. I use the vertical zipline even more often to prevent pieces from bouncing and rolling down hill when they hit the ground.

I think it's pretty funny when somebody says speedlines are a waste of time. It's like when somebody says you can't be an efficient climber without wearing spurs. They only think that because they are not good at it, and since all climbers think they are the best and nobody else is half as good as them, they extrapolate that what doesn't work for them must not work for anybody. Most of these people have only used a speedline once or twice, and found it to be slow and inefficient because they were trying to learn how to do it on the job. It's just like any other aspect of this work: the key to being efficient is to practice.

The first speedline I ever saw in use just blew me away. This was about 30 years ago; I was serving as a newbie harvest inspector. A cedar bolt cutter had a FS permit to harvest shake bolts, and the oldgrowth blowdown red cedar was upslope from the road and about 200 feet away. No kinda trail, brush and down woody debris out the ying yang.

This ol' boy hung a 3/8" steel cable about 300 feet long from up slope from the cedar down to just above the road. The cable was deadheaded about 15 feet up in a tree at the top end, and went through a block hung about 8 feet high in a big hemlock at the road, where it turned 90 degrees down the road and was anchored off the the rear hitch on a 2 1/2 ton side board flat bed.

He'd have the truck driver back towards the block 'til the cable laid down at the pile of bolts, stand one up, lay the cable across the end and nail a 2" fence staple over the cable, loose enough so it could slide. The truck would pull ahead, hoist the bolt off the ground and it would start sliding down towards the tree at the road. When it got there going hell for leather it would hit the hemlock a mighty blow, knocking the staple out of the bolt and dropping the bolt at the base of the tree, just a few feet from the edge of the road.

He ran the whole load just that way, a couple of cords worth at least, never had to do anything at the bottom end of the speedline, each turn took maybe 20 seconds. It would have taken many hours of back breaking work to carry all those bolts out of there by hand.

The only fly in his ointment was me giving him grief about beating up the bark on the hemlock...but he solved that by hoisting the spare tire from the truck up there to hang below the block and letting the bolts hit it :).

Hahahaha...that is a great story. I love ingenuity like that. That guy needs to be in the House and posting pictures.:)

And I agree with what you said, Sean (Bounce)...efficiency is a function of practice. Very good post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean: Yah.... You've definitely got the tree-climber ego nailed down pretty tight. It sounds like you've met guys like my foreman--and me for that matter--a time or two before. A lot of us are the biggest jackasses for derogating any other method that the one that won us the glory with the two-bit boss back in "aught 6" that we just can't part with. "Set in your ways,"--I believe, is the phrase. I've been wanting to try a zip-line just for the fun of the thing, but I can never win the powers-that-be over enough to get a chance to implement the darn thing.

Burnham: Absolutely incredible story. Before I read that, I actually had had the ridiculous idea--after reading a few posts--to cry about people not giving up more technical info. about how they tension the line etc. But, after reading your post: I realize, "Use your dang melon once in a while--probly won't kill ya'." I'm with pantheraba: If only we had the shots!

Back