The Truck Thread

Very nice, Cody. That's quite a bit better organized than my truck was back when I was climbing full time.

ed680ae6.jpg

The first vise I put on a truck was on my first bucket, it was also a hitch mounted stand.

truckviseMedium.jpg

Thanks guys :) I thought the horn might be pushin it for bein too goofy, but I like bein a goof.

Finally got around to takin a pic of my truck and chipper, its a 90 f450 with a 7.3 idi and a five speed manual. I'll try to get a pic of my 91 dodge and dump trailer set-up this weekend and post it. IMG_0437.jpg

Looks good, Nick, except that high side door seems oddly placed. Looks like room for more tool boxes as needed. How is your job load split between pruning, removals, phc, etc? how many on your crew?

Never saw that body, Nick. Who make it?

What chassis is it going on? How are you going to reach the tools inside that side box? It looks like it's hinged just below the trucks roof, pretty tall! That bodies gotta be a solid $8-10k, No?

Sharp setup though!

Let me see if I can hit all the questions:

How many yards is it? It's 8x12x5.5', so that's 528 cu ft or about 26yds ... I think.

My removal:pruning ratio,is about 95% pruning. Most jobs are pretty small. I'm thinking a box this size will last a couple weeks. We only do field work 2-3 days a week. we have at max a four person crew. Two climbers and two ground guys. Over 90% of our cuts are hand saw, pole pruner or hand pruners. We only own 2 chainsaws.

Yes, that tool box placement is stupid. I'm having it quoted as being built with that box at a normal placement. I'm also having it so there are tool boxes, on the left and right side. The one pictured only has tools on one side.

I'm gonna put it on a f-350. I think.

I had found a similar truck on tree trader. I called the day it got sold :( But the buyer only bought the truck. The body is still available. I am working with the seller to come up with a price and seeing if I can ship it from illinois to me and still beat the cost of new by a long shot.

That bodies gotta be a solid $8-10k, No?

we shall soon find out

That is nice! Nick any chance you know the layout behind the doors?

Not at this time.

Never saw that body, Nick. Who makes it?

http://alum-line.com/ but I can't find any chip trucks on their web site yet. I think it's a new item for them.

love
nick

6ced986c-7151-f590.jpg

19.5 yards by my calculating, as its 27 cu. ft/yd., possibly minus a few for tool boxes. 10K in chips to fill the box.

Figured mostly pruning in the city. Plenty big enough box.

What's your payload capacity on a f350 dually? Seems like a large box on that size truck maybe. My 11' southco (ex-asplund) is on a f600.

I'd max out a 350 at around 12 yards. That might be a bit much actually. 500 pounds per yard of chip.
That is a nice looking bed though. Can you customize the oddball toolbox??

Do not go with a 350. I've been this route. You'll be very much overweight on a long wheelbase 350 with a load of chips on. Believe me on that. You'll go overweight on a 450 also, but not as bad. I'm going to sell my 350 soon and go to an International cab and chassis and put a chip body on. With a 350, DOT will whip you unmercifully if you get scaled with a load of chips and a chipper of any decent size. Not to mention, you get in an accident with a load of chips on and overweight, you can just plan on getting sued.

Nick, do yourself a huge favor if you are going with the long wheelbase truck, get a 450 or bigger. If you went the route of a short wheelbase 350 dump, you might skate by.

The community I primarily work in just sent to officers to DOT school and got them equipped with scales and tank dipping gear. They set up random check points now, flag you in, weigh you, dip your tank, and go under your truck with a mirror and flashlight and inspect for any issue or flaw they can. I can't be playing these weight games, I have to go to a bigger truck, which I started out with. In the mean time, a little buddy whispers in my ear the night before they set up check points.

In the UK, Diesel fuel that is not for highway use is only a 3rd of the price of road fuel. It is brightly dyed red though, so that if the Dept of Transport pull you over, they dip your tank to check your not running red diesel.

I assume its the same thing....?

They check for fuel with dye in it. The dyed fuel is off road, and is not taxed the same.

eta: TH beat me to it. Yes, dyed red here.

"Dip your tank"??????

Explain, please.
In the US there are road taxes on diesel fuel which are fairly high. There is a grade of diesel fuel available for 'off road use only' which is exempt from those road taxes but it is illegal to use this fuel in vehicles which drive on public highways. This off road diesel is treated with red dye so it can be identified as such and not confused with fuel which is subject to road taxes.

If a DOT officer stops you, he typically checks your weight and 'dips your fuel' looking for red dye in the diesel. If caught using red diesel in your truck then the fines are substantial (and we all know that DOT officers are all about generating revenue).

Damn, I'm double slow today! That's what I get for being so wordy.

Back