The Truck Thread

If you're not working around power lines, dielectric fluid would be unnecessary.

I don't think a man could go wrong with a 2003-2006 Toyota Tundra. The performance will be a joy, but I fear the mileage will be a something of a disappointment...17-20 mpg.

Drop back and punt, man.

Glad you'll be mobile again, but man... that's a lotta lettuce.

+taxes/shipping. It's a bit of a steep bill right before christmas, but not to bad. Good news is the new gearbox will arrive Monday at some time so I should be running again by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

Is die electric not part of the over boom die electric capability? Technically if you are not going to maintain the boom as insulated you are supposed to declare that to the manufacturer and decal it as non insulated. That way if you sell it down the road someone doesn't think it is legit to work around the lines

Willie,
If I ever sell the truck and the new owner wants to use it around power lines, then he will need to get a current dielectric test done in order to certify the truck. If the hydraulic fluid isn't good enough to pass the test then it won't pass. I don't know but I would bet a nickel that the fluid type won't affect the test results. It could only be a factor if there was a leak or if you were running hydraulic stick saws (which use hydraulic fluid as bar lube). Since the tool circuits have been removed from the bucket you can't run a hydraulic stick saw on my truck anyway.

i bought a new (to me) truck! chevy s10, v6 4x4 with dumping flatbed. 108k on the odometer and tow hitch with brake controls, plus cb radio and cal-trans light. ex city truck. im thrilled. anyone want to buy a diesel 4x4 isuzu pup?

I'm about sick and tired of Chevys. Today I tackled the leaking water pump on mine. I worked on it at a buddy's shop so I had access to extra tools and help if I needed it. Had to remove the air filter assembly, alternator and AC compressor just to be able to see the side of the water pump. Still had to reach many of the bolts by feel since I couldn't get my head in there to see what I was doing. I had 5 hours into it by the time I finally got the new water pump on and the coolant system closed up so I could pressure test it before putting the rest of the accessories back on. Not one but two leaks.

At that point I had been listening to the asshole next door running a pressure washer for an hour straight and couldn't even hear myself think. I was seriously very close to committing a felony. I quit for the night and got a ride home. Tomorrow's job is postponed and I have that twisted feeling in my gut since my only means of income is broken down. I'm really beginning to hate that damn truck. I swear I'll never buy another Chevrolet in my life.

Damn Brian. Don't feel to bad. In the last few weeks I've had new alternator and batts, then my rotation gearbox, now this morning it wouldn't turn over. I smacked that starter with a hammer while my unc held the key and it went. When it rains it pours. Good luck getting yours sorted tomorrow.

Can't get any easier to work on than the 7.8 in mine; but it just keeps going. Need front tires soon, though.

Hang in there, brother. :)

Chevy................drive it to the levy...............and push it in!!!!!

Been the Chevy route. All I got was weekends spent working on them instead of enjoying free time.

Frig that; I'm all blue oval, and been happy ever since.

Got a new rig to replace the tacoma. Its pretty sweet so far, although the mileage is not too great. Planning on running it on used cooking oil. Really clean truck with 83k when I got it. 4x4 in the floor shift and six speed tranny. 70hp chip and 4in stainless exhaust. Pretty fast for a big truck. Parking it is a PITA!!!:lol:

CIMG1606.jpg CIMG1598.jpg CIMG1599.jpg CIMG1600.jpg CIMG1605.jpg

My chevy flatbed has a broken coolant quick coupler fitting in the intake manifold. Right back against the firewall of course.

That is a nice rig Jeff.

I'm scared to register my new one, not sure I want to pay the increase in fuel price and insurance compared to my Toyota. :(

It's a 6 speed with 3.73's so mileage shouldn't be "terrible"

Attachments

• DSC00411.jpg
    DSC00411.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 15
Oh BTW, I got the water pump on the big truck today. I decided to go ahead and buy new radiator hoses while I had it apart since the old ones were 10 years old and swelling at the ends. I grabbed a couple quick pics but the camera is still in the truck. It's all together and the knot in my gut is gone. :)

Back