The Truck Thread

Well, they should feel right at home there, with all the rain.

I see, in Idaho the haul pole grade logs out long like that, not an easy feat in the mountains!

No pics but I used to work around the off-road trucks on Vancouver Island for many years. 1st camp I stayed in 1st day on the job I was amazed at how 'big' the bush roads were, then I saw my 1st loaded off-road truck come around the corner and knew why. A off-road lowbed taking a giant madil to a new block was pretty wild to see.

Willard.

That picture is from New Zealand and about 15 years ago now.
We do have some large Sitka Spruce here in Bergen,Doug Firs as well.
I had to look in my travel diary from 2002 when in Bergen, those large trees I saw were on the Hestebergveien path on Mt Floyen. One of them is claimed to be the largest tree in Norway. I now wish I took a photo of them.

Willard.

I had to look in my travel diary from 2002 when in Bergen, those large trees I saw were on the Hestebergveien path on Mt Floyen. One of them is claimed to be the largest tree in Norway. I now wish I took a photo of them.

Willard.

That Tree is about 1Km from my Girlfreinds house.It was claimed to have the most estimated Timber Volume of any Tree in Norway.There are some big and Tall Trees there thats for sure.I can get some Pictures tomorrow perhaps.

At our local high school athletic field they have lights on poles that are just massive. They must have been pretty expensive. You guys out on the left coast have an idea what tree they were?

I know they use Doug-fir and lodge pole pine, i'm sure theres more

Many years ago, when I was in Arizona, I saw some pretty massive ponderosa pines that dwarfed our local yellow pines.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5.4 is a good motor. Plugs are good for 100K miles. The worst problem I've had with mine is the occasional coil pack going bad. Many shops will push you to replace all 8 (at almost $100 each) but it isn't necessary if your mechanic is smart enough to figure out which coil is bad. I've replaced 2 or 3 in the seven years I've owned mine.

The 5.4 all and all is a really nice gasser imo. Plenty of power for the size, and not bad mileage. Of course like all newish motors it needs atleast some intake and exhaust work to make it actually run decent.

I dropped the cat on mine and put a K&N intake kit on it and it really woke up.

I've got a good friend who is a Ford guy, and was a mechanic in a past life. He'll know just what the story is. Another mutual friend had the same truck, so they've dealt with all the little things particular to this model. He said about the only thing his truck did was blow the exhaust manifold gaskets precisely every 50k.:lol: This truck was meticulously maintained by a friend of mine. New Ford exhaust, brakes, tires, shocks. Just needs a trailer hitch and a little rust cleanup on the utility body doors. The body probably doesn't have more than a couple of years life left, I'll know more as I start to fix the rust.

Skwerl, are the coils interchangeable? If so, wouldn't be too hard to trouble shoot. Anybody install a snowplow on this model truck? I've got a pretty much brand new 8.5' Minute Mount 2. I bet I could find the mount and wiring for the Ford somewhere pretty cheap.

The plugs and coils on the 5.4 wouldn't be too bad to change on a pick up. Now a van is an entirely different story. They are quite the pain in the ass. Always change the plug and coil at the same time. I have found that a bad coil is usually caused by a worn plug.

No, this truck is local, has been here since new. I know the person I'm buying it from. It's never done anything but haul wire nuts and electrical tape.

Glad to here that. The one here was rode hard and put away wet. Good for you. I haven't owned a gas job in a few years, but thought about getting one to plow with next year. All depends on fuel prices.

I brought the truck home this weekend. I guess I won't need that orange box any more.:lol: I thought I was going to be getting a truck that didn't try to think for itself, but I guess I was wrong. When you turn the ignition off, the dome light comes on. Any Ford people on here know anything about that? I hate vehicles that think they know what I want. Can this be disabled, or do I have to pull the bulb out of the dome light?

f350.jpg

Mine doesn't come on until the door is opened. And it has a timer so when you shut the door it stays on another 10 seconds to give you time to get your key in the ignition.

If that's the worst problem you can find with the truck, I'd say you're pretty happy with it. :)

Back