The Truck Thread

Finally got my skwerl decals today. My $10 paint job and some stickers cover up the fiberglass patches quite well. I'll swap it on to the truck later this week when I have a couple hours.

One of them is to get on my roof and the other one is for trimming palm trees that I can't get to with the bucket truck.

I'm sad to see the old one go...it was a beast and a half, but it never let me down and I asked a lot of it at times. But the fleet replacement cycle rules can only be pushed back so much, I kept it longer than they wanted me to by a year and a half.

It was a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4, extended cab, pushed by the 8 liter V-10 gasser. Oversized rail top tool boxes and a Warn 12M winch made for a pretty effective package.

The new truck has been dubbed "poxy little truck" by my friend Pete McTree, after he had to listen to me whine about it's imminent arrival during the WCGTG :D.

It's a 2009 Chevy 1500 4x4, extended cab, small block V-8. I've been truck down-sized in an attempt to improve fleet mpg figures :(.

Anyhoo, I swapped over the same tool boxes and winch, in a new Warn mount. It's a ok rig...but strikes me as low slung. Has enough umph to get itself around, but I won't expect to tow much more than a pair of snowmobiles or ATVs.

Here's pics of the new and the old.

How long have y'all been getting white trucks? My supervisor told me that we will not be getting anymore green ones due to their low resell value due to the mint green color.:cry: Most of our fleet is green but the white ones are starting to creep in...RIP Green Rigs!!!:)

How long have y'all been getting white trucks? My supervisor told me that we will not be getting anymore green ones due to their low resell value due to the mint green color.:cry: Most of our fleet is green but the white ones are starting to creep in...RIP Green Rigs!!!:)

The change from FS green to white is, as you suggest, driven by economics...not just on the resale value but also on the cost of special paint at acquisition. I've been told it was nearly $2000 extra on the front end, and an average loss of $500 on the back end.

We've been getting white since 2000, and there is one single unit in the yard still sporting green...with the exception of the water tenders and fire engines...those are special order vehicles anyway and the color doesn't affect price on them. So they are still coming in green.

Brian , finally got those pics of those Mags & tires I have, need to be cleaned up but FREE to anyone who might be able to use them tread is maybe about 25% to less just pay shipping

Attachments

• 153.JPG
    153.JPG
    686.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 154.JPG
    154.JPG
    570.1 KB · Views: 22
Dave, looks like those will work with either style, you just need the correct lug nuts. A deal for somebody, maybe Stephen?

A heads up for everybody who services their own vehicles. I stopped at NAPA this morning for my extra-expensive air filters for the bucket truck and they are having a filter sale through the end of next week. All NAPA filters are 50% off! No big deal on a $10 filter but the two air filters on my big Cat are about $100. This is an excellent time to stock up on extras. I'm not sure if this is a nationwide sale or just regional, but worth mentioning.

Napa online absolutely sucks. It doesn't recognize their own part numbers and it doesn't recognize my truck with a Caterpillar diesel. The oil and air filters they list for my make and model are wrong.

Brendon, what does your dealer get for a 6429 and 6433?

Never mind, I just looked it up at Fleet Filter and they have the same filter for $26. Looks like I just bought my last air filter from the local dealer.
http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-air-filters/46433.html

I'd have to call tomorrow.

I'm thinking Willie probably has a $80 in his bucket, maybe it has a cummins.

Fleetfilter.com also has excellent deals on filters from what I've purchased in the past.

Bought a new oil and air filter for my Ranger today. It was mighty expensive, but it did come with a free truck.

:D

My '94 is starting to make some engine noises, and I hate walking; been tucking something away every week for awhile now. Picking this one up tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20101011_152422.jpg
    IMG_20101011_152422.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20101011_152457.jpg
    IMG_20101011_152457.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20101011_152436.jpg
    IMG_20101011_152436.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
Back