The Singing Tree Rope Wrench

Thanks for joining the discussion, and welcome to the treehouse! :D

I'm interested in checking it out.

There are some amazing woodworkers on here that may have some good tips for you!

Haha, Jay will be inserting a chair above his friction hitch soon! When he gets to the top he can sit on it for a rest even!

directions. Find a nice piece of wood, about 2 inches by two inches and about 6 inches long. drill a 5/8 hole in it at a 45 degree angle. Take a dremel tool ore carving tool and shape out the path of the rope and the wrench so to create as much contact with the rope as possible with as pleasant as possible rope angles. attach tether and climb. Use your own judgement and experiment. My first prototype and my first climb (a cat rescue), was using a 5/8 box wrench. It was scrapey and fuzzed my double braid much like dry croching would. that was a nice climb though.

When removing a single stemmed tree (or even a spreading crown tree once the limbs have been removed) once all the broughs are removed you simply put a miid-line bowline in your line and choke the stem with your climb line. This allows you to decend to where you want to make yournext cut. This can be done while you still have you flipline on. Once in position you can retrieve your tie in by pullin' the standing part of the rope.

Thanks for enlightening the member here that he could make his own. Some of these young 'uns seem to forget they could do things on their own!

Lots of the pines I do require walk-outs to remove limbs...this req's climbing above the limb, setting the line and then walking out to piece the limb. I find the set up time to do this way faster with DdRT. All it takes is to 'trow' (had to dan...reminds me of a buddy from Nova Scotia) the working end over a limb. With SRT, one has to either tie and retie RB or carry a sling for setting around a tie in and clipping the working end into, both of which take longer to do. That said, if I had a shitpile of large spreading deciduous trees to work, or could line up a few buddies I'd love to give the RW a try.

I use it all the time for Doug-firs.

Shoot a line in to the tree up high for your redirection point. Tie off at base of tree or adjacent tree. You're already ready to go by the time you get to the limb.

If you need to advance higher, take your SRT tail and use a weight on the end, throw it up to recrotch it. With your lanyard on (above a branch or stub for fall protection, if so desired), disconnect your system from your harness, pull the whole works over the redirection point. Re-clip, and limbwalk. No need to actually put your person over the redirection point or re-tie.

Hey there Mr. Bingham! Nice to talk to you again....and nice climb in your new vid.

I think SRT for removals if far preferable than DRT. I attach at the top of a tree with a running bowline. I only need a rope that is as tall as the tree is. I think SRT for removals especially when on the spar simplifies things a lot, no need for adjustable cambium savers etc. Just a running bowline. SRT eliminates a lot of gear all the way around.

never thought of this, but I already have a hard time with my boss when I bust out my big shot and SRT gear at work. He has no clue of all the new ways of climbing nor dose he care IMO.

oh butch im not new here, its funny though because I missed the part about the site being moved and I kept going to masterblasterforum.com and just thought it was real boring and nothing was happening. finally found the new site but couldnt remember my password so I just started all over.

Nobody ever out 'gear weenied' me back in the day, I coined the term 'Gear Weenie'... and I still have tons of gear for all sorts of climbing, paddling, skating, fishing, mountain biking, photographing, wind surfing, blablabla... gear is cool. I don't buy much anymore because I'm more in Brian's camp now, I've got what works for me and I pretty much stick with it since I'm old and set in my ways. When I see something new that's looks like it will change things dramatically and make climbing and cutting better, I'll watch a while and then give it a try. The only reason I jumped on that CMI dual was it was the perfect tool to replace my homemade rig... I'm not regretting that by the way, it's a great device if you footlock.

The rope wrench seems like an elegant idea to me and I like that it's made of wood... hickory is STRONG. I like that it's simple and essentially 'open source'. Like Kev said, it's a stick with a hole in it, anybody can make one. If you wanted me to make you one, I'd charge at least $50 too.

I'm gonna try it. I don't know if I'll buy one or make one... something tells me Kevin has worked on that curve the rope rides against. But still, I'm not sold on SRT with chest boxes and multiple ascenders and all that crap. I've always been interested in SRT climbing and did a lot of it on my own a couple of years ago because single line is familiar to my rock climbing hands. But so far, I've yet to see a demonstration of a solid, easy to use SRT adjuster, one that works as well as a VT on DdRT. If that happens soon though, I'll lay odds that Kevin Bingham has something to do with it.

I like the idea of tying off a running bow at the top of a takedown and working it that way but I usually work my way up and cut a hole for wood to go into, sometimes I'll do a third of the canopy before I ever get to my TIP. I suppose that could be adapted pretty easily. I still don't like trunk tie-ins when there's a ground crew and I don't like the increased TIP load. I did read the Aussie paper on minimizing those loads but you can't always do that.
The adjuster is the linchpin for me, it has to be small, light and work as well as a VT on DdRT... a Tenex VT preferably. When I find that, I'll be doing a lot more SRT.

Ya'll lay off Cary and Adrian for their gear OCD, giving them grief is my job and I hate to share. At least they're still non-motorized at this point, just wait till they start buying trucks and shit. :O

This is the best thread I've read in a while. I learned several new SRT ideas that I'm going to try out this weekend. Man I just love this!

My one big try at SRT was with Frans, Willie and the boys in the Redwoods in summer of 2009. With the Chest dealy to help keep you upright, it worked real good. It would have sure been a lot slower doing it Ddrt. When you are trying to learn these newer tricks of the trade, it is great to have some "experts" there to help. Even if you have all the equipment, it can still be hard to picture the exact rhythm of movement needed to make it work. Watching the person to whom it is second nature really helps. Grigory in Russia had a very slick way of ascending on a pair of lanyards. I took pictures of the set up, but did not get a video of him actually going up. I still have not figured it out. Oh well, someday, before I get old I'll put in the time to get it down. It looked like just the berries for palms, no spikes, but the same basic method and speed of ascent.

whats the SRT SOP for a crane removal?

Square-peg.jpg

I hope he does well. The new wrench looks nice. I doubt I would by one though. F8 revolver system works fine.
My opinion is that he should have engineered the thing to be able to be placed "inline" and then closed.

Back