The Singing Tree Rope Wrench

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Hey guys, thought I would share this new awesome piece of gear designed by Kevin Bingham!! This is the guy that I believed pioneered SRT for working the tree, not just for ascent. He created the Fate Revolver System, and a few years later, he has refined that system into this:
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lOgoxihou-8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lOgoxihou-8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This device eliminates most of the major problems with the other systems he has used and created. No more KONG gear, no more jamming hardware at your hitch when tending slack, easy to advance up without removing the device. The only drawback is you can't attach it mid line.

I've already placed my order for one, hope to have it soon. I gave up on the F8 system because of those drawbacks, but now that I have this, I think I will begin to transition to SRT for working the tree and ascent.

Ranger, you must be the world's champion tool freak.
Do you make any money out of treework, or does it all go to feed your craving for new gear?;)

hmmmmmm ;):P I likes it, I wants it, it is mine, .....my precious GollumAarrrgh.jpg

All the gear in the world isn't going to make you a better climber. Trusting your gear and becoming efficient in your moves will make you a better climber. Refining your technique by analyzing your weaknesses is good, wholesale changing of your climbing setup every 6-12 months is bad. Get better at the basics first. 8)

Very good demonstration of his product. Actually looks like a great little device for SRT climbing

i agree with skwerl
be able to climb well with just a rope and saddle...no clip. no goodies
just heres a rope, belt and saw..go cut and make me money
you'll appreciate all the nick nacks later on

I make more money by climbing SRT that DdRT. It fast and easy. I've been using the Fate system mostly. The drawback has been the lack of emergency exit by the climber on ascent in the event of a bee's nest, and the need to get your weight entirely off your line to install a Fate on top of a hitch. If you need to go up and down, you have to pull out the Fate part, then climb the rope, then reinstall before heading down again.

I'm looking forward to it.

I make more money by climbing SRT that DdRT. It fast and easy. I've been using the Fate system mostly. The drawback has been the lack of emergency exit by the climber on ascent in the event of a bee's nest, and the need to get your weight entirely off your line to install a Fate on top of a hitch. If you need to go up and down, you have to pull out the Fate part, then climb the rope, then reinstall before heading down again.

I'm looking forward to it.

ah 1 and ah 2 and ah 3...ONE MORE TIME!!!! LOL....sorry man, could not resist. ;) ;)

It reminds me of those little rope climbing bear toys where you pull alternating ends of a rope and a little wooden bear or some other critter climbs the line.

Attachments

• 1162245094.jpg
    1162245094.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
I can just hear the ANSI and ISA TCC guys discussing the "Certifiability" of that block of wood! When it gets dry and splits, Mr. Bingham will be stuck midline!!! Buy a Unicender, it will serve you well for both SRT and DbRT!

The wood factor is cool but I wonder about that too. Aluminum could be an option. Probably wouldn't be difficult to fab up replaceable inserts for a wear item

I don't get it at all: I guess that's because I'm SRT ignorant? What's the point of the stick sticking the rope out like that???

The stick lowers the friction on his friction hitch, making it more controllable and less grabby.

I remember when I was in this phase. I'm glad I've progressed to the "I do tree work for money" phase.

The rope binds in the hole Butch. I would be a bit worried about the type of rope it is used on. There have been issues with the inner core of the new mod fibers breaking (ie. bridges). If the width of the hole is far enough it would spread the bend far enough not to mess up the rope, but with that you lose the quickness of movin' the handle around.

The Unicender needs some more tweakin' with the slack tending ability, but being able to put it on mid-line out weighs that issue.

The rope wrench spreads the force between the wrench and the hitch. A VT hitch on a SRT set-up locks up too easily. The Fate system uses a Figure 8 in an unconventional configuration to reduce the force on the hitch. This doesn't advance upward well. The Rope Wrench is meant to advance well, and be ready to descend at any time.

If the rope wrench breaks, the VT hold the climber safely. A footlock up to break the hitch free, then the additional friction of holding the footlock, but letting the rope slide between the feet to eat up some force should get a climber out in an broken RW emergency. A large enough amount of wood surround the friction hole and inspection of gear should avoid this problem.

Isolating a rope for pruning conifers often takes a while compared to a non-isolated system.

Because the system is tied off at the ground, a ground-lowering rescue option is available, provided the climber gets their lanyard off. This is an SRT advantage that you would need a floating TIP to obtain on DdRT.

Butch, it is one of the things Burnham showed us at the redwood climb for decending SRT. If you only have a figure 8 or rack and you let go, you fall, if you back it up with a hitch, you can stop any time. His system is for up and down

The stick lowers the friction on his friction hitch, making it more controllable and less grabby.

I remember when I was in this phase. I'm glad I've progressed to the "I do tree work for money" phase.

Which phase?

I am confident that from my previous use of SRT, it will make my SRT climbing more efficient, and safer. More efficient means more money, right?

All the gear in the world isn't going to make you a better climber. Trusting your gear and becoming efficient in your moves will make you a better climber. Refining your technique by analyzing your weaknesses is good, wholesale changing of your climbing setup every 6-12 months is bad. Get better at the basics first. 8)

Man, can't really say it better myself.

I wanted all the gear in the world when I started. It was instant gratification when it came in the mail, then I realized I still climbed the same slow pase, un-trustworthy of my gear. It was also instant de gratification when I realized I shoulda never bought and it's going to stare at me from the shelf.

KISS, and trusting my gear brought me where I am today. I'm no rocket ship, don't get me wrong, but I can surely get the job done fast and efficiently.

It might be a better wheel, IF proper materials are used. No biggie unless you have employees!

KISS, and trusting my gear brought me where I am today. I'm no rocket ship, don't get me wrong, but I can surely get the job done fast and efficiently.

I don't know about the rest of y'all but I have never been paid to just climb a tree, I get paid for what I do while I'm up there. Sure efficiency makes ya more money, no doubt. Trusting your gear (like the others have said) gets you to where you can spend that money!

On removals, anything not related to getting the tree off the property is overhead, climbing included.

I can see the advantage of srt......but no way I will fly with my rope tied to the base of the tree during a removal......

kevin is very innovative though...

Back