The Singing Tree Rope Wrench

I hope he does well as well. I would replace the last bolt with a pin with a ball detent and presto midline attachment. I also think the price is way steep for what it is.

Its expensive but I don't think to many folks who design tree climbing gear are getting rich enough to quit their day jobs.

Saw one in action at the Puget Sound Regional TCC yesterday. Looked pretty good, except the weight of the RW on the top of the hitch and the speed of the climb during Aerial Rescue kept the hitch from staying well formed. With a normal climb, I figure it would be fine, just needing a little tending. Maybe a bad combo of cord and rope for use with the RW and speed climbing.

Kevin, how is midline attachable RW 2.0 coming? Any idea of a release date?

Midline Attachable appears to work fine with a 5/16th ball lock pin for the front bushing. Even with my midline attacheable models that I have made, I dont really take them on or off the line. It saves a minute at the beginning of the climb and a minute or two after. No reason to. I prefer in fact that people not climb with them off the line. In a sense, it is a form of backup for your hitch. This is a new technique so I want to move slow.

I remember flipping out for paying $79 for the falteimer, I dont feel like that anymore. It is the cheapest tool on the market that allows you to go up and down on a rope made with the best possible ingredients. If you make it yourself and you have metal skill you may be able to save some money. I climbed on a wood one everyday for 6 months. Zack Kenner approached me with this metal concept, hence the ZK. I wanted something simple, strong, and with as little questions as possible.

Before releasing a midline attachable model, I need to get some more feedback on what kind of strength standards and device opening standards this tool needs to comply to.

There is no exclusivity, I am sure that interested parties who wish to sell this tool will be able to.

So you're rich now right? It must be cool to invent something for that big tree climber market then kick back in your Costa Rican bungalow.

I think what you've got going on is awesome. Keep innovating.

I had Paul, (softbankhawks on the Buzz) drop by my place last week, he climbs only SRT and since buying the wrench has hung up his Unicender, he would be a good guy for feedback I should imagine.

Attachments

• IMG00379-20110521-1540.jpg
    IMG00379-20110521-1540.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 7
So your rich now right? It must be cool to invent something for that big tree climber market then kick back in your Costa Rican bungalow.

I think what you've got going on is awesome. Keep innovating.[/Q

Yeah its all palm trees and pina coladas right now! I wish. the funny thing is that I have definitely started trying to pursue other innovations that I have thought about but never got around actually trying to make. My day job as a tree care professional has been suffering badly though while I would rather be tinkering around with gadgets than taking proper care of my clients.

Just got back onboard with this thread. Nice job Kevin, building stuff is addictive aint it. I know without a doubt that my tree business both, clients and equipment have suffered due to the Wraptor project and I currently have 3 other designs on the back burner. It would be cool if we could do this for a living but alas as Im sure you are finding out there isnt much money in the tree market as it is so small an all the ma and Pa operations are broke:|: Im sure you realize that this project is more for self fulfilment than monetary gain but still folks will be pissed at you for "charging too much":lol:

If I were you I wouldnt worry too much about getting it rated as unless Im missing something its not part of your life support system anyways right?? Getting stuff rated is costly and you may never requope your investment....

When Wesspur starts to carry them I might have to give it a try:P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been dying to order a metal one here, but haven't had the spare cash to do so yet. I've been rocking my wooden one for awhile, digging it, but I really want the metal one. Would have had a perfect job today for SRT and the wrench, 4 cedar trees in a square, did my first one and made the jump the next one, but the guy came out and said he had something more urgent, so I went and did that for the rest of the day. Could have done all four trees though from one main TIP and 3 redirects, without ever touching the ground.

Back