The Official Work Pictures Thread

Thanks for catching that Burnham. What I meant to says was 2 thousand tons. I think thats what they call fuzzy math. Thank god Im not an accountant.
We have 2 old redwood bridges here that are a bottleneck when it comes to getting material or heavy equipment in. I had my buddies Super dump pulling in 18-20 tons at a time, and dumping in our communal farm, which is just outside the hood. From there we had 3-4 Bobtails bringing in 4-7 ton at a time non-stop. It was a lot of work, but we just finisher it up this afternoon!

;)

Hard to pull one on stuff like that with an old road maintenance guy. Numbers that don't easily make sense ring my chime.

Even 2k tons is significant rock, and a lot of work for sure. Well done, sir.

;)

Hard to pull one on stuff like that with an old road maintenance guy. Numbers that don't easily make sense ring my chime.

Even 2k tons is significant rock, and a lot of work for sure. Well done, sir.
It was a few mile of rough roads and we were laying in on pretty thick, but I was shocked when the quarry tickets showed we had gone through a few million pounds of rock. It was an ongoing project that took over 6 weeks of on/off work, but I am sure glad its done. Now I can get back to my own life. My wife is gonna kill me if I don't finishing milling the lumber for her new cabin this summer!

Any idea how redwood compares in strength to doug-fir? For a 2x-whatever fir joist, as an example, would you use larger or the same dimension of redwood?

Fir definitely has more structural strength than Redwood. You can find charts online which will tell you what dimension are acceptable when using Redwood for structural stuff.

Good question. I gotta believe they do because folks naturally use what is plentiful at hand.

Or maybe frame with the fir and use loads of redwood everywhere else.

Hey, I wonder why there is no redwood plywood.

I thought as much. Do people frame whole building with redwood?

I do, but its frowned upon by building codes and inspectors here. Its also extremely expensive to do, but I don't have to worry about that!

Nice work Eric, you seem to keep busy!
Thanks Mick. This is what you get when you add a few kickass cups of coffee to an already hyperactive body/mind!

I know you could get redwood plywood way back in the day, but not sure about now. Again it would be big $.

We have a lot of guitar builders out here, and I have heard and seen a few acoustic guitars with beautiful redwood tops that rang like bells. . The good old stuff can be very similar to good spruce which as you know makes a killer top on an acoustic.
Just did a google search, and apparently you can still get Redwood plywood.

Let Me Google That For You
https://lmgtfy.com

I've got some friends who have made guitars, mandolins, and mandolas. I'm on the lookout for a rock elm for them, as with its slow growth and super tight grain, it makes excellent instrument wood (also used to be used in ship building).

Lazy little Jack Pine that they've been after me for a week to get rid of. . . "I'm not puttin my boat in till it's gone". There, it's gone. 8)

Little bit in it, little bit on it.
34962762_1758725267496740_5951849564355952640_n.jpg

36176629_1758725560830044_7162331314425692160_n.jpg

36265718_1758725894163344_4377939604527906816_n.jpg

35927098_1758726887496578_3628680455206731776_n.jpg

Crazy webbed feet. . . I think he's a Plott hound.
36064398_1758728130829787_2097986915872538624_n.jpg

Plott hound? No way. Says this old boy with deep North Carolina roots :).

Nice business with the winch...I continue to marvel that so few tree work outfits operate without one. I place that tool up there right behind a chainsaw as necessary :).

Couldn't agree more Mr. B.

There's a bunch of Plott hounds over in Wisconsin. They use them to hunt bear. I'm just curious, going to get him DNA tested here pretty soon :)

Never saw a brindle Plott. But of course they have been a mightily mixed breed from their beginnings. Bear, 'coon, bobcat. Look forward to the dna report, if you do so.

Back