The Official Work Pictures Thread

Even in that heat you are wearing your chainsaw pants. You are hard core, girl. The heat usually drives me out of chainsaw pants. We are getting into the 70's now and they are starting to get hot...our summer 90's and near 100 degrees make them almost unbearable.

Yup, and those were type C...all around protection! You can see the condition of the undergrowth, trip hazards everywhere, and we were way back in de bushes!! I'd rather slow down and sweat than bleed out.
Mind you 10 years on, I think my thermostat is a bit broken...not sure I could tolerate those older thick trousers any more. Give me my front protection Pfanners with ventilation zips every day...

Some picts and video from the first sweeping oak we are removing. We were able to remotely set a block in a gin pole tree, face cut and dump 6-8 foot pieces of wood...the rigging line "influenced" the pieces to run away from the fence below and back towards the woods. Alex did a great job of setting up the porty...2 wraps and let it run.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tsPRhC_iGHs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And some pictures. Yesterday we did two "firsts"....used our New-to-us Wraptor and used our new Senas. Both are awesome.

The Sena comms ARE what everybody brags about...amazing. So easy to quietly talk whether from tree top to ground or while getting things ready: I am 80 feet away in the trailer telling Alex how I think we need to do something...or he is telling me to bring this or that for rigging. NO shouting, all very clear comms.

They ARE a game-changer.

And the Wraptor...so good not to have to climb that rope to the work area. Right after I figured out how to lower the device to Alex I got a call. John (NoBivy) who I bought the wraptor from had promised to call and walk me thru using it the first time. We watched Paul's videos and figured out the basics. But John had some good info for us...and right after I lowered the unit is when he called me and told me an easier way to do it next time.

First ride:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-YrpAm8FOPw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• first oak picts  (1)resized.jpg
    first oak picts (1)resized.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 60
  • first oak picts  (2)resized.jpg
    first oak picts (2)resized.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 61
  • first oak picts  (3)resized.jpg
    first oak picts (3)resized.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 60
  • first oak picts  (4)resized.jpg
    first oak picts (4)resized.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 57
  • first oak picts  (5)resized.jpg
    first oak picts (5)resized.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 61
  • first oak picts  (6)resized.jpg
    first oak picts (6)resized.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 56
  • first oak picts  (7)resized.jpg
    first oak picts (7)resized.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 59
  • first oak picts  (8)resized.jpg
    first oak picts (8)resized.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 58
Pretty much like I think you suggested. I thought about a vertical speedline or chunking it. Instead we hung a block in a tree away from the fence...see post 5456 above. We ran 6 or 8 big chunks off a big oak...had the block at about 60 feet. It made a very dynamic belay but no wild rides for me. The beaten zone in the DZ got hit pretty hard but it worked well.

Here are a few pictures to hopefully show what I've been doing recently. Clipping Browntail moth nests out of trees.

The caterpillars have irritating hairs covering their bodies, which cause an itchy skin rash sort of like poison ivy mixed with fiberglass in skin feeling.

Nest almost exclusively on the terminal bud of branches, mostly in oak. Each nest has 2-400 caterpillars, and when they emerge at bud break they can completely defoliate trees. As they grow and molt, the hairs fall to the ground, where they remain irritating for a few years...

Impossible to spray large trees near water, so only options are trunk injection or clipping. Chemophobes opportunity for the later. It takes hours of climbing to do mature trees, even with 18' pole pruner.

Zoom in on the first picture to spot the nests, closeup of nest and large in second picture.

But of a rant but I really dispise these things!
0b9ca7e02b6ddd4ae413b338306ab157.jpg
745101161caf36e7e034ba1a04f3965a.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Seems like a good way to earn money climbing, with very low overhead, or disposal. PITA, maybe. Makes you a better climber. SRT?

Are those moths a thing in ME? Apparently so, though I haven't heard of them, and Im sorta nearby in CT

Those months are in 2 places in the US. The very tip of cape cod, and a few coastal towns in Maine.

images.jpeg

I live in the islandy town in the center of the red part.

Good info.

Hey on an unrelated note, do you get out on the water much there? Lobstering, swimming, surfing, boating, fishing, SUP'g?

F54803A1-7474-41C8-A4A2-F566B66BD88D.jpg
Some pencil pusher decided it was ok to add this row of trees to our deadline. Kinda set me off. They called down the thunder so I delivered. Put all that mess down in 3 1/2 hours of mostly bucket work. We?ve got a bunch more to put down by Thursday. :X

Boom boom boom! Banging it out, Rich!

Homeowner clean up.

Dead cedar extravaganza (8?, plus some small trees). My employee is cutting stumps low before i fell the next, which my saw, orange wedge box and orange ax are against.

Tipped it a bit, but being stiff-branched and lightweight it hung up. Wedging it, I jacked it off the 6' stump, above a huge sweep. I had cut a Humboldt, so the butt was flat. It dropped off the stump, and landed firmly, flat, with branches still interlocked in the neighboring fir, just lower.

A throw line and pull rope installation, and mini-pull, tipped it over, 3' to far left, breaking one fence board and a solar light.

IMG_20180326_123750862.jpg IMG_20180326_124539756.jpg
IMG_20180326_123835879.jpg IMG_20180326_123844948.jpg

I had to manipulate the log over a granite boulder, 4' tall. Glacial erratic.

Brendon asked about the ladder rack to my chipper. These simple angle-iron brackets, bolted onto my service body, because of thick paint on diamond plate didn't lend itself to welding, hold my 10' ramps or two, possible three orchard ladders, or an extension ladder. A little pocket to hold the foot of the ladder or toe of the ramp. In front, it's raised to clear the door.

I'm looking at something similar on my chipper, resting the weight of the ladder on my belt cover, with uprights welded to the frame, or stake pockets with a removable frame that the ladder is strapped against. Maybe get some rubber self-adhesive, traction strips for the belt cover, preventing damage to my perfect paint job.;)

Really, it got me thinking of having a little tower built for my chainsaw-powerhead capstan, like Reg so cleverly did.

IMG_20180325_105702899.jpg IMG_20180325_105711039.jpg

Nope, not homeowner clean up. Just not me cleaning it up. Boss told them 2 1/2 days total and they said it WILL be down by our deadline. They also haven?t approved more overtime. I gave them what they asked for. It?s down. Over with now and on to the next rush before ?bat? season ends
FD971FF4-BBBC-441A-90A7-48670BE1F2D1.jpg
I asked the city engineer who the hell thought it was a good idea to plant this here?! He responded with the same guy who planted the other three on this tree lawn. He doesn?t quite get the bat tree thing either. Had a late start because nothing was marked and when you have four to choose from, which Two are the right two to remove? Figured it would be the two nastiest. Oh well finish up tomorrow and head to more ?bat? trees

Yes. Of the foreign type as well. So many slang names I can’t keep straight. Chinese,Siberian,piss elm. All the same to me. I should learn the proper name sometime.

You guys (and Gal) are blowing me right away. I freakin love this place. So sorry I haven't been in the mix. Freakin can't figure out my smart phone. I'm serious. Anybody got any tips for posting vid from a Samsung Galaxy? I got some nice crane stuff. Forget that... does anybody even know how to just post pics from a Galaxy directly to the House? I'm seriously confused.

Back