The Official Work Pictures Thread

Looks like it's a good candidate for a rig and ring set in adjacent tree. Can be set and retrieved from ground, and you don't go for a ride cutting 12'logs. Spear cut the spar down so you don't have to tip the logs down.

Sean...all I have to do is get the logs down...no moving them once down. Plywood to protect the gin pole tree might be a good one.

Ruel...I like the idea of spear cut pieces...let them slide off the spar, not have to tip over.

I meant for speedlining, placing plywood around a tree in a landing zone. The more horizontal the speedline gets, the more is involved,usually, and more horizontal momentum to carry the chunk into save-trees.

A single/ multiple-picket (t-posts, etc) anchor can put an anchor anywhere there's suitable ground, so you don't have to go to available trees.

If you can simply vertical speedline down the same tree, you don't have to worry about the ground-anchor tree.

What is beneath the tree?

If i have to control trunk wood, my go to is the vertical speedline. You can take much larger pieces than you can catch, and it's way easier on the gear as well imo. As Sean said, making a crash zone with brush and other logs helps contain it, and the speedline just adds that extra layer of protection. Negative rigging large wood is a last resort (for me), necessary at times, but only when i can't figure any other way. With only one guy on the ground, you can do 3 or 4 wraps on the porta wrap and just leave it, it will pull what it needs and won't go far. Then your groundie is free to pull a line to make life that much easier. Very quick and easy to rig too, as you can tie it on the way down and then just shackle it to the rigging line once you cut your notch.

Man... you guys are soooo rockin it. Stig!! good to see ya sir!

Here's some randoms of Jake and me. Sorry I haven't been around much as of late.

OOOPS!! Guess I better figure out my new phone one of these days. :|::|::|:

Ruel...I like the idea of spear cut pieces...let them slide off the spar, not have to tip over.
Careful with this cut. Great for cookies or short logs, but if the piece is long, it tends to rotate backward as the butt slides away. The tip comes down over you and can hurt you badly.

Thanks....that does make sense. I will probably tip tie them, face cut towards the gin pole tree direction and let them tip, drop and swing...they where I am not.

I've not spear cut spar pieces before, only limbs...and they sometimes brush me as they shoot down. Certainly don't want to try to fend off spar wood. Thanks for chiming in.

Gary on the salami cut for the wood I think the rule is no longer than 3 times the diameter. I tend to go shorter just to be safe depending on my work positioning.

Last tree on my road clearing job. Just wasn?t weighted decent enough to fell or pull it. Danged ole cottonweed
362984F3-F87B-490C-B864-D25A0A30B5A9.jpg
Half a tank later
AEC7BC15-DE95-46BF-BC86-E9A164EDECB9.jpg
Done and out of there for an early lunch. Went and removed a few smallish limbs from a couple of oaks that were overhanging a house and tv antenna and was able to be home by 3 yesterday. There was quite a bit of BS time as well.

Its been a while gents. Not a lot of climbing for me this winter, but a bunch of skidding and milling.
IMG_0383.jpg DSC_0217.jpg IMG_0710.jpg IMG_0481.jpg DSC_0177 copy.jpg IMG_0665.jpg DSC_0074.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 72
If it posts upside down, then that's it - it's gonna stay upside down.

No use in trying to fix it and I have no idea why it happens.

I just turn my head a bit, easy-peasy.

I feel like there should be a dinosaur in the background of your pics. I get that feel.

Yea, theres definitely an ancient vibe around here. Some of the locals around here refer to my hood as Jurassic Park!

I had a customer years ago who had an antenna put on the house and grounded with 8' rod. For 2 years they couldn't figure out why they were using so much heating oil.....

Back