The Official Work Pictures Thread

My day started easy with these three Firs. The tallest was 120', and the Sugoi represents the dbh... I'm not kiddn ya.

unnamed-1438.jpg unnamed-1439.jpg unnamed-1441.jpg unnamed-1440.jpg

but ended-up SUPER messed-up...

unnamed-1442.jpg

Included in this nightmare is a 100' Cottonwood. Missed a prevailing wage job because I've gotta rig all of this garbage out tomorrow without damaging anything. They don't want to get a crane. :?

Jed, be sure to get a release of liability on that cottonwood before you start. Situations like that really suck and they suck even worse when you do your best but one cut goes wrong and causes more damage. Then the hysterical homeowners come out and start blaming you even though you had no choice. Tell them to sign a release or hire a crane.

Jed the salesman is a dope. If it is like it looks in the pic, get a crane. Or maybe let him do it. :drink:

Bad situation Jed. Missing out on PW shouldn't be a big deal for you. A buck an hour is nice but not a big deal for a day.
More dead and dying ash today. Guess what I have for tomorrow? More dead and dying ash. :/: I seem to be getting a name for myself as I was requested for this.
IMG_1949.jpg
Tallish bastards with almost enough room. Let's just say they got a few limbs from their maples "pruned" for free.

And yes Mick, well worth it. We're doing a daily rate for her but she just keeps adding to it. Three days so far and she wants two more as of right now. And she had the check waiting. 8 hour Saturdays are becoming more common. Beats the 12-14 I used to do.

Rich, how brittle are those dead ash ?? Would you climb them? EAB is just getting here so I have no experience.

80' or so reach today, one of 5 removals from that setup.....

Jed those firs are (were) fishing poles, stinks on the cottonwood, what a mess!
What's up with all the dead ash Rich? It sounds like you are the resident ash master.

In our area they seem to decline quickly. As a last effort they get a lot of sucker growth. They are usually ok at that point and if they even have dead suckers are pretty solid. It's when the tips aren't there I get a bit worried. They seem to rot out very quickly and get punky. I climb a lot of them and have refused a bunch as well. My spidey sense has kept me alive for 20 years of this, I'm not about to question it. Also a good inspection of the root flare is needed. The roots tend to rot out quickly when EAB killed.

Paul, does your crane have a computer? An operator told me recently that with the new models it's getting harder to disconnect the computer. You maybe need a special key or something. It's pretty much only independent ops that do that anymore. I don't think it's anything that they teach in crane school, and working for a company and doing it will get you fired. The old timers that came into the work before computers were on those rigs, don't seem to have a problem doing it if it's allowed.

Never been on the operator end of a crain. Is the computer you you guys are talking about some sort of safety/overload feature?

I always figured the newer ones had that but wasn't sure. The few times we've had to use one at the mill I never noticed anything except they would give you the weight they were lifting.

Jed, be sure to get a release of liability on that cottonwood before you start. Situations like that really suck and they suck even worse when you do your best but one cut goes wrong and causes more damage. Then the hysterical homeowners come out and start blaming you even though you had no choice. Tell them to sign a release or hire a crane.

Yep, and take your camera phone to document existing damage when you're up there.

Thanks for the info Raj. Is that the 100 hp?
Sadly no it's 65hp cummins but it does the job nicely I get about 3" per swipe.
If I added a turbo it would be 85hp.
It's the sc652 which is exactly the same as a sc852 minus the turbo.

If you add a turbo you would also need a different injector pump and injectors I believe.

Yes Jay I have a computer and can simply over ride it. Only time I ever do that is when we break the a2b cable.

Sadly no it's 65hp cummins but it does the job nicely I get about 3" per swipe.
If I added a turbo it would be 85hp.
It's the sc652 which is exactly the same as a sc852 minus the turbo.

3" per is nice.

Back