The Official Work Pictures Thread

36b8b722d56d534be3c0b2ac63a964c2.jpg
Went to help a buddy today. Tree that got scorched all the way to the top 2 summers ago was hanging over his water tank.
f9568a0c846652a58fd1be7bd06a4f14.jpg
had to drive past this hungry buncha brisket.
7297eceb755daca03b4e46761617118f.jpg
With this guy bawling at the beef
7f68d16e3340efa40adc1472739898af.jpg
these 2 were threatening the water supply line.
24778c174b389a5bd359d46d1adbcd31.jpg
so he dumped this one in the creek.
fb86a8652bddec478987f2f7d98dfcde.jpg
mine had even more headlean so I bored it and it still went before I was done but landed perfectly on top of the other.
08ba841c027fe83142a9201708c25fd6.jpg
9695ec2fd09bc7d7f57541291fe7ca40.jpg
so Orrin got to help Unc clean out the creek.
0f942094019ff517094b462dcd501ef0.jpg
68cc5830b4d71e56e3db3a9e4d2a6fbf.jpg
Bella Got cold and high graded my coat.
82b8c7654b1db0e47491873284b237a7.jpg
Cade & Orrin we're still cleaning.
cbd7b4ad1446c47a1f6aa0b523da959f.jpg
Katreese and Trevin were catching sticks that come through the culvert.
158d409e121d24e62e5ee2d507cdb225.jpg
ride home started un eventful
d7a41a52e6f50c882d4f2dc8b42d9798.jpg
till this guy couldn't...quite...reach... His smokes...

Yeah...good stuff. Crazy tree over that tank. Running an excavator!!! A kid's dream...cool stuff. A great outside day for your kids.

Damn man! So you got nada? Can't smell grill cheese or a rib eye cooking?

Never have had the pleasure.
Learned by reading, it's possibly caused by a serious concussion when very young.
I was taken (saved) from my birth mothers home when a babe and was adopted.

Not sure which subject you meant (if you were referring to me) August but there are definitely some possibilities there.

The not smelling thing could turn quite humorous, and I can see the other falling right into my usual writing style.
Could be fun...I haven't tried writing anything since around '96 or '98.

Yes Dave, I could see how you could make it a funny bluegrass style song without having to smell certain things. But the childhood story sounded intriguing. Probably a way to tie it all together. I do love writing.

I do too, just haven't (other than college papers) in a long time. My english professor tried to get me to talk to a couple publishers once, but i never followed through on it.

100 trees tagged, for hazards or disease mostly. A couple plain dead. I can't really guess accurately, but with a 1 in 20 ratio, which is possible, I could have inspected 2000 trees.

The problem with a bid-priced survey is you don't know how much to expect, or time involved. The harder you work, the more you find, the more time inspecting, documenting, and reporting.

Siht ton of pini and schweinitzii. Evidently, the 80' oak didn't like 3' of gravel to surround it. Its in a pit with big ganoderma conks.

I look forward to climbing, pruning, wrecking, and felling trees for a while. Its been a rest on my body for a few weeks. I'm feeling a little soft.

IMG_20160220_161450066[1].jpg IMG_20160219_190642051[1].jpg

Righty, just writing on an awkwardly held pad. I'm transcribing to Excel, now. 25 to go. Then some proof-reading of the text, like 30-40 pages.

Using the same abbreviations turns into short-hand. I've found it helpful for complicated bids.

That's where specs ahead of time help. Something like a level 1 driveby inspection of the 2000 trees costs this much and will identify which trees should have a level 2 and possibly level 3 each of which are bid after the previous.

Thanks for mentioning Willie.

I was in a rush at the time, because they were in a rush at the time. Live and learn. I was not independently trying to figure how many trees (way underestimated), without the distraction of preliminary site evals, and such.

It is a walking site, more than less.

I had a hard time figuring a good way to model the scope of work for predicting hours involved.

Weather was a definite factor. You can't see as much when its raining, and rain in the eyes doesn't work well. Glasses in the rain don't work well. We have had a record wet winter (by some stat or other).

Next time Write in the Rain Paper. Kept forgetting to get to Home Depot for some, or order some.

It was a maze of yellow walled, clay roof spanish style architecture with very tall trees everywhere.

Way different that a large residential property level.

In the end, they are getting 102+ mapped, tagged trees, rough DBH, species, defect and/ or disease, object of threat, some medium and high priorities to address more readily. A lot of resistograph and monitor recommendations.

Some plain as day red flag removal recommendations (couple fully or near dead).
CRZ improvements, RCX/ SGR pruning recommendations. Etc.

One to grow on.

Outside my normal service area. I was hesistant, but got the call around Christmas, when it was slower, and pruning season was still coming. I could have called customers to schedule annual pruning early, but it seemed like an opportunity worth pursuing and brain work without such body fatigue. A little bit of a body vacation to rest and repair.

Some much would be totally missed by a driveby. I didn't know how to make a rough walk-by work. How do you frame the proposal to start with missing 50% of what you're looking for?

Every building had hazards nearby, whether advanced root disease, heart rot, or big co-dominant leaders.

How to word such a thing?

You do what you're doing and get better each time. Seriously, go take the risk assessment qual. You mixed levels 1,2 and inventory with recommendations for level 3s. A level 1 should (I'm assuming) have been sold and bid on a walk by basis to identify which trees needed a closer inspection. Then you know you need a level 2 on 57 (or however many) trees. That is much easier to bid and write about. At least it's hard to lose money unless you're missing other work.

Had 2 half days of work for some relatives, they took me out to lunch both days :D
Didn't take many pictures, but I got this one after I dropped this pine top

IMG_20160221_120558729.jpg

Here's the top of the spar, I cut the hinge as it fell to make sure the but slid off so it wouldn't bounce back at the house.

IMG_20160221_120606858_HDR.jpg

And here's the spar hinge, I came in a little low on the far side of the back cut but had no issues.

IMG_20160221_122711054_HDR.jpg

It was a good weekend, except for my 450 running like crap today, barely made it up the hills to get home. Quick diagnostic revealed at least 3 dead cylinders (1 plug wire didn't want to let go of the distributor), so there's my project for this week.

I love the smell of freshly cut sweet chestnut.

It smells just like Tangy Toms. A cheap packet of ketchup flavoured corn snacks we used to get as kids.

Nice Chris. I see you've learned to leave a few limbs on the spar when taking the top. Helps a lot on conifers.
And since I've been corrected multiple times, that looks like a spruce. Not a pine. Norway spruce is my guess

Cool pics Chris, looks like a perfect shot on that top and some great looking cuts. We're still doing a little tornado cleanup work. I've driven by this big gnarly long leaf hundreds of times and for some crazy reason always thought I'd end up taking it down and what a rigging nightmare it might be. The tornado took care of the rigging part.
IMG_1838.jpg P2200567.jpg P2200569.jpg P2200574.jpg

Back