The Official Work Pictures Thread

Took down several pines on this property on the bay and one had these ridges that circled the tree every few feet with the bark flared out at the bottom of each ridge. I can't say I remember seeing it this pronounced before. Just wondered if anyone knew what causes this phenomenon.
IMG_1822.JPG

Interesting point, do you think it's better to leave it longer to throw out epi and compartmentalise better or take it back to the branch collar.
Aesthetically it looks nicer back to the branch collar but long term doesn't a shit cut (like mine) 3 Mtrs out give the tree a better chance to shut the branch down?

You can cut to an old branch point with a heading cut even if there is no live branch, rather than internodally.

I would think that some sprouts bring energy into the stub. As it gains vigor, and regrowth, prune some of the sprouts/ keep it reduced to an acceptable distance out from the trunk, if the tree will cooperate. Otherwise, you're looking for a big cut at the trunk.

I've headed back sycamore where there was no live lateral after an ice storm. Similar idea. If I had gone the base, I could have had a big cut close to other important structural wood.

Took down several pines on this property on the bay and one had these ridges that circled the tree every few feet with the bark flared out at the bottom of each ridge. I can't say I remember seeing it this pronounced before. Just wondered if anyone knew what causes this phenomenon.
View attachment 67208

Hmmm, not sure Ray, but get us some more pics of job when you get chance...looks like U got in some tall pines there ;) nice!!

Had to baby sit and work today. I like my stumper and my clean up crew.

e82308d8e3194de073a00091644fb7f5.jpg
49e9e755f0c9bab245003ccb53b26f3c.jpg
a022e2e9d55a0c3089b5d77def4f4e3b.jpg

I get told that too. Apparently something gets lost in translation between the genders. Nice grinder by the way.

Here's a nasty leaner and the solution we came up with. I had to swing it to keep within the ROW as the property owner was less than pleased with what was happening. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
It worked well enough. Didn't get it to swing quite as far as I wanted, but still made it. The straps saved the barber chair. The log still cracked but no one was hurt.

My views from Saturday. image.jpg
Where we've been
image.jpg
Where the boss wanted us to drag to
image.jpg image.jpg
One ground man taking out a couple easy droppers and the other making sure I kept things inside the ROW
image.jpg
The mess left for the guys to deal with Monday. With the tracked loaders,grapples, and BC2100 it'll take no time at all.

I get told that too. Apparently something gets lost in translation between the genders. Nice grinder by the way.

Here's a nasty leaner and the solution we came up with. I had to swing it to keep within the ROW as the property owner was less than pleased with what was happening. It worked well enough. Didn't get it to swing quite as far as I wanted, but still made it. The straps saved the barber chair. The log still cracked but no one was hurt.

Looks like a whizzy tree.

We ventured out to Cleveland to some work for family again this weekend. This time was for my Dad's cousin. She and her husband had a dying ash, around 36 to 40" dbh, weighted toward their house. Our best estimate was about 110' total height, I climbed up to a large split at about 60' and removed a few limbs to put the weight more in our favor. We then guyed it to remove any possible failures.

After I removed the limbs toward the house

ash near.jpg

Here's Dad hugging the trunk for size reference

trunk hug 2.jpg

The slayer and the beast

ash slayer.jpg

Not the best hinge, but for my biggest tree so far I'm pretty dang happy with it. Took my time with the 32" bar till the notch was just right, then started the bore cuts behind the hinge on both sides with a my smaller saw. When I went to bore deeper with the 32, I found out how much harder it is to bore with skip tooth chain. It bucked and threw the chain twice, chewing some drive links the second time, so I went back to the 25" bar and finished the hinge and proceeded to cut the back strap. The back cuts did not line up well, missed by about 2-3", but none of that mattered. I got the fall on video (and it is AWESOME!!), with the option of slow mo, when I get that figured out and up on youtube I'll post it up.

Big Ash stump.jpg

Big Ash trunk.jpg

Took these dead stems down to clear the way for the big Ash tree.

dead1.jpg

dead2.jpg

Then we took down this 70' Ash, leaning toward the house. I shot a line in it as I was uncertain of how long its been dead, and the wood around the outside was not very promising. The outer wood turned out to be all that had started to rot, the rest of the trunk still had lots of good wood in it and it hinged wonderfully.

dead3.jpg

small ash trunk.jpg

The next morning the local inspectors rolled in to check on our work.

IMG_20160206_080122314.jpg

If you are throwing chain while bore cutting, good chance you don't have the chain tight enough. The cutters are then able to bunch up at the tip making it chatter and buck.

Another trick is to twist the saw in the cut when it starts to chatter. Keep it twisted pushing in till it starts again then twist the other direction while boring in.

Good job on getting it down.

Good job. Big tree!

When I double-cut a bore-cut, I shave the bark off the back, so I know how much strap I have. Then work my way toward the back of the tree until my bar nose sticks out the far side, I can them change sides, putting my bar into the same plane as the first side, cutting up to my hinge, then back to the back-strap, to the appropriate thickness. Release below the bore. fwiw.

Thanks guys. I'll try that and practice boring with the big bar.

Rich, I was pretty sure I drove by where you live on my way there. This house and one of my uncles live on the SE side, My uncle being in Cleveland heights, this house about 20 min further out. My other uncle lives on the NW side, in Avon Lake. Both of these trips were pretty packed, I'd love to meet up with you next time I head out that way.
I put the video on youtube, hopfully I can get it embedded.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U1wKF0YSgz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've done work in both places. Avon is a bit further from me though.
Nice. Love that sound of the hinge wood. the crash as well

Thanks for the info, Sean. I think I just recently read another of your posts about that in a short bar thread. I thought about doing that, but honestly I was nervous about the tree and wanted to make sure my hinge was set before I cut any more than I had to.

If you have a stump-shot, and a 1/2 wrap, you might be able to roll the nose through the center of the hinge, gutting it, then stick your saw through the face to establish a kerf through the far side.

If you have a tree more than double your bar length, you reach through the face to cut off the center post, in a similar way.

Chris...good work on a very big fatty! Cool video...and love those "inspectors"...good shot there. It's like they know SOMETHING is different....wonder what it is?

Back