The Official Work Pictures Thread

Yes sir, I assumed you'd know that, as you seem to be up on all the fungal stuff. Beetle carries it into the tree and it hinders the trees ability to pitch out the insects. Makes for pretty siding. These trees also have red turpentine beetles at the base

Nice pictures everyone.
I think Rob took a picture of some of the blue stain on some milling of the ponderosa we have brought home. I'll see if I can get him to send it to me and I'll post it up

Pretty common here, guess I assumed it was up your way as well. I have 9 big pines in a cemetery to do next week

Sure is nice to have lumber at my disposal. I am making some stair stringers for the front deck. Had Rob mill me a few 2X12s. I took a piece of 1X12 to play with and take the abuse of my learning curve :lol:

Rainy day, for sure. Hard to make out this guys 'Specimen' Garden. Overstocked by a landscape garden planner former spouse. Needed to be thinned. Everything looks amazing when it was small, but stuff grows here. Almost no room to step off the flagstone path, and about 12 tall sprinker head in a small area. Removed 6 small trees, two large shrubs, and pruned about 15 (two service drop power line lanes to open, and some nit picky "specimen" tree treatment) in a tiny yard. Did I mention overplanted? The homeowner said "specimen" at least 20 times between the bid and work day. I've started calling
b9f846134005c311d9298575e9a95ade.jpg

Look how evenly space the teeth of a silky are, just beyond my first knuckle. Got off really lucky. Four very small puncture wounds under that film of Neosporin. Very end of the day taking the top off cryptomeria japonica from an orchard ladder. I don't know exactly what happened. I know that I let go of the saw at some point. Whether it was when I felt that slight puncture or when the top started to act a little funny and I unconsciously reacted by letting go, I don't know. I always try to have an unconscious plan B. You know just mentally scouting a landing while working on a tall orchard ladder just in case. Cutting down/ slashing up limbs in a grapple truck/ brush trailer where there is high tripping/ falling hazard.
dfc4351cb6b5cfdcd755f142d6f81ac2.jpg

Been working away in the mountains recently on a big job, around $30,000 worth of work, staying away in campsite is hard on the family but fun for the boys.
image.jpg

NIce pics, Jake.

Do you have a red ring/ rigging plate or something on your choking SRT line for clipping into?

Nah it's a aluminium ring with the rope running through, around the stem and a Krab tied to the end of the line. This way I can keep the gate of the Krab away from the stem, eliminates potential cross loading and I can descend to the next work station, flick the rope and the system falls to me with very little friction.

Tell you what though, would work cool with a rig plate, you could then clip into the other hole to setup a 3:1.
Don't know why you'd want a 3:1 on a straight stem but it's an option8)

Yeh it's a pinto but not a pinto rig, normal pinto, I thought that might raise a question. The pinto Rig and normal pinto are rated exactly the same, both to 50kn but they just take a different max rope diameter.
This wasn't a big tree and new I wasn't rigging big bits, but was big enough that I could really test that setup out.( only recently spliced it together) truth be told it was fantastic, really held up well and was nice and light as I moved down the stem. If it broke it was no biggee as it was just turf underneath and it was being stump ground so the dent wouldn't of mattered.
So it held up well, but if I went bigger I would opt for a bigger block8)

View attachment 59759

Oh, and that's a 16mm rope, small pinto takes it fine, it's just the bend radius of the rope that a block would beat the small pulley, but as said 16mm rope has a huge mbs and was nowhere near tested on this piece of wood so bend radius was fine for me.

A tight end radius does reduce the breaking strain of your rope significantly, but it's no worse than an x ring......

Why would you choose a pinto over an ring in that application?

Because I don't have a ring (it's next on my list) but had a pinto in my bag doing nothing. Only reason i like the rings though is to instal and retrieve from the ground. I might use on light rigging when I have them but until I hold, feel use them I'll stick with the pulley for now.

A tight end radius does reduce the breaking strain of your rope significantly, but it's no worse than an x ring......

Why would you choose a pinto over an ring in that application?

That's why you'd use 2 rings, increase bend radius of rope thus increasising strength of rope at the bend.

Yes, the rig has roller bearings, the ordinary pinto has oilite bushes.

Not sure which would be better for shock loading though.

Back