The Official Work Pictures Thread

Do you think senas will ever make there way into logging? Especially when yarding on the mountains? It seems like they could really help with communication and potentially save a lot of lives.

Last time I logged in PNW, loggers had good comm with 'Talkie Tooters', their main function is to signal the whistle/horn on the yarder based on a system sorta like morse code but much more limited, to make the yarder op do what the rigging crew wants done with the carriage or the rigging down in the hole. And if they need to directly talk to the harder op, they can talk into the TT and be heard, like a walkie talkie

Ffz BS IMO 8) these give you the ability to adapt on the fly as the situation arises. No amount of planning can acomadate all the eventualities ...

Well, it all began on a cold rainy nite…

Yup, worked for Future Logging out of Eugene OR. Learned a lot, worked hard, saw the big trees that were hard to believe they were that big when just hearing about them on the East Coast. Woulda stayed out there cuz the West rocks, but got homesick.

Yes. Logged in Maine, then to OR, then back in CT.

Thats cool Cory. Its good to have experiences. Logging for a day would be enough for me, I dont think I could work that hard. Any more surprises? Done any modeling maybe?

No doubt about that Paul. Good comms is an important tool for safety and productivity. Poor comms can be either too much chatter or no chatter and can be dangerous and distracting.

I would rather get everyone on the same page right off rather than try to tie everything together later. You are right, being able to make corrections and adjustments is essential.

If I am getting asked questions all the time I am either employing people that cant think or I have done a poor job of conveying my plan.

Thats cool Cory. Its good to have experiences. Logging for a day would be enough for me, I dont think I could work that hard.

Environmental concerns aside, climbing those ravaged, steep and sandy slopes - 2 steps up, one step back, that was definitely a lot of hard work. Carrying 150lb coils of haywire thru the brush to set up the next 'road', that was memorable too. I still remember the single best drink of water Ive ever had in my life, working at the bottom of a 'hole', blazing sun, hustling ("in for your job, out for your life") digging choker holes and setting 1" thick chokers, a small, cold, crystal clear spring flowed from a spot in the slope 150' away, across the jumbled hell of huge logs in a jackpot at the bottom of the draw, we took turns making our way over to get a drink, as the work allowed; keeping the yarder waiting was completely verboten. When I finally got to the spring and drank, it was just so insanely welcome and refreshing and cooling that I remember it as being the best drink of water Ive ever had, and never had one that seemed better, since.:drink:

Do you think senas will ever make there way into logging? Especially when yarding on the mountains? It seems like they could really help with communication and potentially save a lot of lives.
Line of sight and distance issues, I think would prevent this.

A put on ground only job. I was feeling a bit rough yesterday. Let Will try the APTA. He got a less than desirable shot, that I chose to use for a pull line, just in case. I cut up one half of the back cut and banged it up tight with a couple of wedges. One started to blow out the back cut a little bit and made me a bit nervous since this grand fir leaned toward the house, trunk and limb weight. .

So Will's training then went into adding a block and tackle on to a second pull line which was set higher in the tree and tensioning to match the first pull line.

One of those trees where if there was not a house behind it I would have beat it over with wedges but somehow as I started to cut the back cut, the tree was leaning harder than it was when I first sized it up, at least in my head.

Scared the crap out of this little cedar, but left unharmed.

804ef5e3641b0e15b19be7e1d6bf3be5.jpg

397a22bf47c7f1bbe99be938d2131a9e.jpg

2 other easy Fells, then on to the business.

Nothing like a nice willow that was topped or broken out by storms for some nice rotten tree climbing, and this is where the bucket truck would have done 0 good across the septic system, however the APTA and Wraptor worked a treat. Had to strip off one side down to the main fork, then fell into the woods.

Speed lining and cut and Chuck was enough to scare the house , irrigation and and septic risers, but no harm done.
65f558e487d0eb61ff713a73c61a7360.jpg
dd223a8c95ac61bdbb994cd66219cbf8.jpg
9aecec52cea3912d718dd1a22fe92ecb.jpg

Had expected to get done earlier, and gone and done a little ground level, hand pruner and hand saw pruning on a 7 foot tall weeping birch and a whopping 11 foot tall lilac. Feeling a little rough I took it very easy yesterday, not rushing , actually just chilling out at times on the ground. Went by as this second job was 2 miles away and did 20 minutes of pruning and it already looks so much better. I just wanted show the homeowner we did intend to come the homeowner we did intend to come, and also size up what length brace- rod drill bit I needed for a crack in the birch. My long, 5 /16 inch bit went missing yesterday. Relaxing way to finish the day after worrying about that crappy willow which had some pieces that you could see through.

b6c9c7a3490d653a6cf54aa1564f4e1f.jpg

8d67800a1d24aadd49e35fa57f5e148e.jpg
lots of elderly homeowner heading cuts turn to this beautiful tree into a tangled mat, so this will be a satisfying pruning job to finish. A good job in this end of the peninsula community where I have been known to do big trees, but have done less find nitpicky pruning work.

So as a follow up to the last set here's rather a poor picture of the zip lining of the top of this oak down into the lower garden
S'funny because you do a lot of setting up and shouting then once you get going in 30 minutes it's all sitting by the chipper.
Anyway bloody awful weather, tea had improved by the second day.
Got paid, went home, drank wine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 49
Back