The Official Work Pictures Thread

Close call today cut through a yellow jackets nest, european wasp here. Haven't seen one around for ages, hope they're not making a comeback. Never saw any till I pushed the block off, lucky I was on the ground.

I took off and let them settle down then hit them with some gas. Looks like they took over after the termites left or ate them maybe?

Block on the left is turned over in the second & third pics.

PB270029.JPG PB270021.JPG PB270027.JPG

How are the driveways holding up Paul?

So far so good other than our huge hydraulic leak. You know it's bad when we show up with a tarp, a drain pan, bottle of dish soap and a bucket of sawdust.

Crane is in my shop now ready for me to drop the "swivel" for resealing

Jake, Clever. I have always had that in the back of my mind and wondered if I would be willing to try it if I were in some remote location, truck hopelessly stuck, but had a chainsaw, strong rope, and trees close enough.

For bad leaks, Ive had good luck using a plastic garbage can lid- light, inexpensive, concave, good capacity, good diameter to cover multiple leaks or windblown drippings. When the leak is coming from the center of the vehicle where it can be a little hard to easily position and retrieve, tie a cord to the rim of the lid so you can toss it under and easily reposition it or retrieve it by pulling the cord.

Jake...cool idea on the buried stub...took me a bit to cipher what was going on. Would loved to have seen a video of that.

Close call today cut through a yellow jackets nest, european wasp here. Haven't seen one around for ages, hope they're not making a comeback. Never saw any till I pushed the block off, lucky I was on the ground.

I took off and let them settle down then hit them with some gas. Looks like they took over after the termites left or ate them maybe?

Block on the left is turned over in the second & third pics.

View attachment 58685 View attachment 58686 View attachment 58687

Lucky you were on the ground, Steve. How many times did you get hit, if any?

Frequently, around here, people say how they don't need a climb line/ bail out system in place. One or two steel-core flip lines for conifers. "I'll just choke the line clipped to the back of my saddle, and put on/ have a pre-placed figure 8, and rappel out" kinda plan B.

When we were doing an easy pull-rope/ fir top pull-over, my groundie unknowingly got into ground nest area, and got hit when we were back-cut/ tensioned. 20-25' top sat back, and was starting to slowly fail, over me and the garage. I had him slack the line, and wrapped a couple stubs (working right near the split in a co-dominant top), and knocked off the hinge with a handsaw. Just caught it, over backwards, smoked the rope, no damage. Probably would have fallen across my SC flipline. Would have burned right through a rope with that top running 60-80' to the garage roof.

Now I prefer to have the pull line tied off with a trunk wrap after slight tensioning. A person can just push/ pull down on the rope and impart more force than pulling, if done right (not too close to the tie-off, keeping the angles most perpendicular). It also frees up the work area by having the pull rope out from the butt of the tree (the typical conifer drop zone) until its time to pull, which isn't always right away.

Cory good idea on the trash can lid, I bought a kiddie paddling poll but it was a pia to haul around. Problem with my leak is it is right over the drive shaft so in transit it gets flung all over the place

Soon to be fixed

So far so good other than our huge hydraulic leak. You know it's bad when we show up with a tarp, a drain pan, bottle of dish soap and a bucket of sawdust.

Crane is in my shop now ready for me to drop the "swivel" for resealing

Swivels can be a bitch! Make sure you inspect the SHIT out of it before you put it back together. ANY pitting where the rings run will cause a leak when you put it back together. Have a close look. If it is light enough, the pitting may be able to be polished out. If not, a machine shop may be able to bore it out and sleeve it for MUCH less than new. The swivel on our 220LC Kobelco is 3700 dollars.

Shoot if I could buy a new swivel for $3700 I would buy 2!!!

I just paid $590 for the seal kit

Btw my machinist is coming over to help me as I don't want to do it twice

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Finished the day with this split Ash that had a lot of included bark, split apart in the high winds from the other night. GRCS & XXR's to the rescue! I was in my lift for these pics, easy access to get my lift in, and the ground is almost frozen so only used the alturna mats for turning.

Aaahhhhhh! Dint work. Rope slipped of the stub. In the end the stub was holding up the tree, think it would have come out if we pulled it over with the truck instead of using the trees weight.
Jake

40 and 70t, both sweet machines fo sho.

We use a 50t boom truck a lot, just a monster, thing is not happy unless it is picking huge.8)

Lucky you were on the ground, Steve. How many times did you get hit, if any?

None luckily, gave me a scare though. I don't know much about them except for what I've read and stories here, and I've only ever seen the odd one flying around and even then not for years.

Seemed pretty docile and concerned with the nest unlike the paper wasps I usually find, maybe it was the weather. My lucky day I reckon.

My gas trick sort of froze a few.

wasr 2 003.JPG wasr 2 004.JPG

Back