The Official Work Pictures Thread

I have no bad ass stories or pictures today. I ground stumps. The good news is that I didn't quit and dissolve my business part way through.

Ohhhh I've been hunting lately. Don't you worry. Even told a few lies lately to make it happen. My wife thinks the customers lawns are soaked.....

I'm feeling much better. I've adjusted and am learning to live with this issue. I have some tough days but nothing like the earlier part of the year. Ill come out eventually. I am climbing here and there and mentally its all there in terms of the mechanics of how to do the work. Physically, I'm not moving as fluently in the tree as I was at this time last year. I can get that back. This time last year I felt like my brain and body had finally come together in the tree and I was like a wrecking ball. Not at the moment. The brain works but I am awkward in my positioning and stability.

Sean...the handle on your APTA is in a different position from mine...can you take a picture of how you hold your APTA when you fire it?

Yes, just remind me.

Bazooka / rifle style... Right hand on handle, left on valve.

I still had 40' to the to from that 102' TIP, after being topped at 50' and 105'. Big branches just below the old topping wounds blew off in storms. A 10' log/ branch stub was 12" x 8" on the butt. Some short stubs where bigger.

5d44609ddde8fb7c1e02cc16180a8eb9.jpg
dead ivy makes a mess. I had a base tie choking the ivy in place. When I went to peel it, I almost had to rig or off to keep a 3' x25' curved 'plate' of ivy off the hedge. A pole hook pulling and base tie snuggling held it until clear. It was a wild sight to see it peel in one big, thick piece.

The neighbors had a single ivy vine as thick as my arm, which is big around here.

13c3e2b92a6b75040c173539821fcc94.jpg
ee305792246b876c4eb59bfef0bcc1ff.jpg
2b8dfb92e2d2f35222c47637f4cf4242.jpg
c7747b479b259940db446d99bbd25474.jpg

Cool.

Here's an exciting cracked kitchen tile of a mobile home.
It's foundation pier below that crack sits on top of a tension root of the oak leaning over the neighbors aluminum mobile home.

230MiguelYoun2.jpg

I was rolling super fancy today.

I have been meeting Will in town where we have been working. I have been leaving my equipment there while working for the two neighbors.
so in order to not shuttle the chip truck, due to a driver shortage, I just towed the chipper with my pick up from the job site in town for a power line-drop job near my house. I was hoping to grapple truck the brush, as it was as close and economically efficient as I could possibly get with the grapple truck, since Dan lives around the corner.

Turns out Dan is in Montana hunting, so I needed a chip box. I filled it with the deodar cedar removal chips. I definitely towed it with the pick up when it was full.

98552c4f6ee631e754a6b0f69127e25f.jpg

Hahaha. Worked in a pinch. Customer was super happy with the job.

I used the NEXTDOOR app to offload the chips a mile away, in half an hour. I posted them for free if they unload them, or $25 if I unload them. Turns out to be another preschool parent. He said to just drop the trailer off. He'll probably bring it back to me.

I didn't want to unload it.

This was the last incarnation of a locking wooden chip box/ gear box from my pick up, from pre-chip truck days. I unloaded that thing by hand in the dark so many times.

For the last couple years, since finding my contractor's canopy. That has served as a "boat house" for this little sailboat I took in trade for some pruning. Ha.

Aside from looking shoddy, for 45 minutes of me and Will wrestling with it to secure it to the trailer. It worked in a pinch.
Saved two hours of shuttling the chip truck back and forth, and some of fuel. Just made me laugh.

My other trailer has 4 foot plywood walls that I can fill over the top of the walls. 5 yards.

Until I get a dump trailer, it's at least good to l know I can manage on decent sized removals if my chip truck gives me trouble. Always good to have a plan B.

With the loader to tow both trailer and chipper, I can access a narrower path where I couldn't get my chip truck, like a recent golf course bid. I don't suppose golf cart paths would support a chip truck.
I just try to be versatile.

It is not uncommon for some one to unload a trailer or truck of brush or chips these days. So many into permaculture gardening with mounding. Study up and get with some gardeners. It's a win win.

Well it pretty rare for me just to be felling trees but that's what I was doing yesterday, Picea Abies and also this lovely old Walnut which will be milled.

Job was for an arse hole developer, crap access, good luck clearing that mess up mister!

Guy in red hat Matt, we worked at the same time in Sydney but not together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 82
Yeah, very heavy lean on the tree, I cut a small face cut then bored the middle, I tried to bore cut from both sides but it started to pinch pretty quick so I just ended up doing a fast back cut with crossed fingers, saved the butt!

Nice mess, but an hour with a excavator and a few litres of diesel will clear that up with no sweating involved.

Back