The Official Work Pictures Thread

I've never understood pruning a tree after transplanting it. You've compromised the roots, so you've lost storage of nutrients, as well as the ability to absorb more. Now you're going to cut off branches, and the resulting leaves, reducing the opportunity for photosynthesis.

The balance between roots and crown has been altered....is my understanding. Too much imbalance can compromise the life of the tree. If you cut the crown back, perhaps it alters the die back that the tree would have ordinarily done itself, hence the result is a better looking tree. I think it might be what the gardeners have in mind here when they do that. Leave it up to the tree and the results may not be as hoped for, or unpredictable.

A little more urban logging today. :-)
rajy3e4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine looking job!

How do you slow down the zipping piece when it nears the z rig?

Just give the line slack to land the piece. nothing to hit in the gravel drive way. If we had a target out in front to worry about, you go ahead and set up a speed line so the tag line controls the speed and acts as a rigging retrieval.

Some yarding today. Dingo came in handy. I topped two oaks and yarded the logs out. Tall and skinny. Then this bull pine I had to throw between the two little oaks to my right. It was growing out from behind them. Head leaner across the creek. Bucked it and yarded with a high set block and the mini. HO thought we would just have to leave the logs sit ;) Finished early so I went to my parents and reset a line for a tire swing. Then went out to an estimate near the area that is going to come in about 15k plus with a crane if we get it. Have to see if we can even get a crane in. I'll meet with the operator next week. Only narrow old bridges across the creek for access. Logistical nightmare with or with out. busy day.
Fodder..

Attachments

• 5.9.14.1.jpg
    5.9.14.1.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 5.9.14.2.jpg
    5.9.14.2.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 5.9.14.4.jpg
    5.9.14.4.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 5.9.14.6.jpg
    5.9.14.6.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 5.9.14.7.jpg
    5.9.14.7.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 82
  • 5.9.14.8.jpg
    5.9.14.8.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 5.9.14.9.jpg
    5.9.14.9.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 5.9.14.10.jpg
    5.9.14.10.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 79
CurSedVoyce, how well does that chipper work for you? I'm looking for one about that size.
View attachment 55188

She has served us well for 9 years and I will never give her up. Fits into many tight places. I would rather have or would also like to have at least a 6 inch cap wheel feeder as well. It would up production on jobs like this. The chipper and Rob easily kept up with the lining of the brush though. If it was just him and I, chipper with feeder would have replaced one crew member.

The balance between roots and crown has been altered....is my understanding. Too much imbalance can compromise the life of the tree. If you cut the crown back, perhaps it alters the die back that the tree would have ordinarily done itself, hence the result is a better looking tree. I think it might be what the gardeners have in mind here when they do that. Leave it up to the tree and the results may not be as hoped for, or unpredictable.

Jay, do you see trees transplanted without crown cut back doing poorly? There area so many traditions that are crap, like gravel in the bottom of planting holes for drainage, painting cuts, etc.

Some landscapers are talented horticulturists, most aren't. Dunno.

What kind of reduction do you tend to see them doing?

Sean, generally what I see is when two brothers that are long time professional gardeners, sometimes ask me to give them a hand. They do such nice work, I have taken people to see their jobs, sometimes months after. Things look quite healthy, though i did hear of one conflict that they had with one of their customers after a tree that was transplanted, died. The customer wanted it replaced, and the brothers claimed it hadn't been followed up watered as they had instructed. They seem to cut back the crown by a certain percentage, giving a good shape to it. I wouldn't say that the amount of reduction is very extreme. They are real snippers, though. If you walk somewhere with them and there are trees around and they have their snips on their belts, sometimes they will cut off branches, even if the trees aren't on a property that they have any work association with. :lol:

Haha. Like the sarcasm woodworkingboy. Like I said, I hope to have the other transplant pics up that we didn't prune. I definitely believe it's species dependant when it comes too transplants. Some you may prune, but others let them be and they'll let you know if they need help. They're a lot more resilient than people give them credit for. What works for some, may not work for others and I love that about arb. Besides, why spend that much money and effort on what would basically be,a lopped tree?
J8)

So..........as promised, here's the photos of the other transplants we did 11 months ago.
Erythrina before
image.jpg
After
image.jpg
Looks pretty good although is showing signs of Lemur grazing
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Brachychiton before
image.jpg

After
image.jpg

Brachychiton is not doing as well as the Erythrina, but showing signs of good extension growth and new leaves and buds appearing.
NOTE- Brachychiton was pruned after we moved it by the zoos arborist as the Lemurs escaped within the first week.:lol:
J8)

Back