The Official Work Pictures Thread

DAY 4
image.jpg
The last pipes were laid.
image.jpg
The last side was trencher and tree became an island!
image.jpg
Wrapped and ready.

J8)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Thats really interesting Jake, thanks for sharing. Whats the plan for the actual move? Big crane?

Wonder if it would be possible to undercut the root ball with a steel wire cable, like a giant cheese wire?

Are you going to cut back the crown at some point? I generally see gardeners cutting back the top after trimming the roots prior to moving a tree, and i think that they normally lesson the roots some time well in advance before making the move.

Inevitably the tree will go into transplant shock so we will keep as much crown as possible. If pruning is needed down the track some time then it's easier to see die back. We root cut a few weeks ago for prep, we would have preferred a lot earlier but was out of our hands:(
J8)

It'll be interesting to see how the tree recovers from this. Be sure to post a pic this time next year!

Will sure try and remember. I'll post some pics of 2 others that we transplanted 11 months ago on the same site.
Will try and remember to get them tomorrow.
J8)

Jay, I've heard that its better to let the tree decide if, and where it need to lose some foliage, rather than guess at dosage and location. I know a lot of people want to prune before, but don't know if its really proper for trees.

I might wonder if gardeners are just doing 'work' because you are 'supposed to', and charging for their service. A local landscaper taught my old groundie that the way to loosen up a circling root ball with with an axe, chop those circling roots. Personally, I go for teasing out or a handsaw as needed. It could be that young trees can handle that big dose of pruning wounds, and just persevere. Enough roots and water and good soil might keep the crown alive and photosynthesizing enough to grow new roots without dieback. I don't know for sure. Seems like another sensible line of reasoning, that may or may not reflect reality.

I know that gardeners here are very specific about what times of the year that they can move trees, and I think they are that way about the initial root pruning as well. Perhaps because our hot months are also generally combined with the wet ones, there are different factors involved.

I always felt you would have to take observations of the species in it's demographic to make those decisions.

Some zip line fun today. Not so big of tree, but lotta targets.... Lady was a tad concerned for her garden...
Fodder....

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 60
Just zipped it Gary. The block was just set for lowering ahead of time. Once we zipped the top, I just took the line and started lowering with it. The top was secured on a pulley for running the zip to reduce friction.
The line was fixed at the base of the tree and tensioned on the working end with a z rig. Think of the block as a redirect with a dual purpose.

Back